Topic: 46 Ford V-8 ignition system

JoanRebholz    -- 10-29-2016 @ 5:46 PM
  Hello,
Seeking help with a '46 Ford V-8 ignition problem.
One year ago my friend's 46 Ford V-8 had new plugs and wires, coil, condenser, Ford points, crab cap, and all electrical wiring replaced. The car ran then, but sat for a year in the garage and now will not start...no spark.
He is hoping somebody can provide step by step directions on tracing the ignition system so he can troubleshoot the problem.
This forum has been very helpful in the past. He will certainly appreciate your wisdom on this.
Cheers,
Joan R.

4dFordSC    -- 10-29-2016 @ 7:16 PM
  If it's been sitting for a year, the first thing I'd try is filing the points. A light film of corrosion may have built up on them.

ken ct.    -- 10-29-2016 @ 9:45 PM
  X2, but I would not file them. sorry this went on twice ken ct. read one below.

This message was edited by ken ct. on 10-29-16 @ 9:49 PM

ken ct.    -- 10-29-2016 @ 9:47 PM
  X2, but I would not file them. Clean them on a fine steel bristle wire wheel on a pedestal or bench mounted grinder. This will have to be done with dist OFF the car and points removed from dist. Reset @.015. Remember the drive tounge is off set when replacing it must match camshaft slot also off set. Or he can call me if he gets stuck. ken ct. cell 1-203-260-5945

TomO    -- 10-30-2016 @ 9:03 AM
  Before filing the points, I would check to make sure that they need to be filed.

There are a couple of ways to check that the points are making contact.

With a dwell meter - connect the dwell meter to the distributor side of the coil and crank the engine with the ignition on and check for 36 degrees of dwell.

With a voltmeter - connect the volt meter to the input to the coil and tap the starter with the ignition switch on, the meter should fluctuate from battery voltage to around 2.5-3.0 volts.

With an ohm meter - connect the ohm meter between the distributor side of the coil and ground and tap the starter until the points close, the meter should read 0 ohms.

You can clean the points with a very fine burnishing blade, electronic cleaner and a piece of cardboard that has been saturated with the cleaner or removing the distributor and carefully spray the contacts.

The dwell meter and the voltmeter will also check out the ignition switch.

If the ignition passes the previous tests, you can substitute a short piece of high tension lead for the one that goes to the distributor and use it to check for spark from the coil.

If you do not get any or a weak spark from the coil, change the condenser.

Tom

JoanRebholz    -- 10-30-2016 @ 5:29 PM
  You guys are the best.
Many thanks, I will pass on comments to my friend and keep looking in case anybody else posts a reply.
Thank you!
Joan R.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10213