Topic: WANTED: 1947 Ford Fordor Radio

jmckenzi    -- 04-01-2010 @ 5:16 PM
  Does anyone know where I can by a vintage 1947 Ford Fordor Radio. My grandfather passed away and I inhereted his 47. He had the radio in for repairs and we have no idea where the radio is now. I would really like to get an original radio for the car. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

donclink    -- 04-01-2010 @ 5:22 PM
  Send me an email. I have several restored '46-'48 Ford Radios.

donclink@att.net

jmckenzi    -- 04-01-2010 @ 5:31 PM
  Email on its way.

jmckenzi    -- 04-01-2010 @ 7:55 PM
  If anyone else has any suggestions, please send them this way. Or even better, if you have one for sale, please let me know.

trjford8    -- 04-01-2010 @ 9:08 PM
  Your best bet is to purchase a restored radio that is guaranteed to work from a known source. Don Clink is a long time V-8 Club member and will make sure you get a quality product.
Having a radio restored is not cheap and you will have to supply a core. Some cores are rebuildable and others are not. You might have to buy more than one core to get a good one and pay for the shipping, etc.
If you just inherited this great car and are new to the V-8 world I would suggest that you join the V-8 Club. You get 6 issues a year of the V-8 Times Magazine plus a club roster that can link you up with other V-8 owners in your area. You can join on the front page of this site or by calling toll free 1-866-427-7583.

supereal    -- 04-02-2010 @ 6:43 AM
  I had the "wonder bar" radio in my '47 converted to AM-FM over ten years ago. It would operate, but required a bit of "persuasion" now and then. Looks the same, but now I can get music instead of the AM band rabble rousers. It did require the addition of a 6 to 12 volt upconverter, but it was a welcome improvement.

jmckenzi    -- 04-02-2010 @ 9:12 AM
  trjford8,

Thanks for the recommendation on Don Clink. I have contacted him. Where do you find a core from?

Also, I have joined the club already. My grandfather told me to do that when we were discussing the car. The WNY Regional Club is doing some detective work to see if they can find the original radio that Grandpa had. Hopefully that works but if not I want to find a replacement. The car is all original and I would like it to stay that way (with the exception of adding some seatbelts for my two daughters to ride in the back seat).

Jeremy McKenzie

trjford8    -- 04-02-2010 @ 9:46 AM
  Jeremy, thanks for joining the V-8 Club and welcome to the V-8 world. In regards to a core radio you will find them at swap meets and you can run a want ad on this site or the Fordbarn. Want ads are usually fairly productive, but buying a non working radio is always a 50/50 shot whether it is rebuildable or not. You'll find a great bunch of folks in the Western New York R.G. They will help you a lot with your car.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1020