Topic: cold start

village grande    -- 10-22-2016 @ 10:04 AM
  My 1951 stock 8ba has developed a problem lately that has me stumped. If the car sits for more than a day it is hard to start, if I pour a small amount of gas down the carburetor it will fire right up. I checked the accelerator pump and I get a good squirt of gas from both jets when I pump the gas pedal. Pumping gas from the gas pedal will not start the car but just a small amount of gas introduced through the top of the carburetor and it fires up instantly. Switched the carb with another known good carburetor and have the same problem. I know it sounds like the gas is leaking down (maybe thru the power valve)when it sits but I get a good flow when I pump the pedal and the 2nd carb acts the same way and that carb works fine on another car. Any ideas?

JayChicago    -- 10-22-2016 @ 6:31 PM
  This has me stumped. Whats the difference between pouring a small amount of gas into the throat of the carb, versus pumping gas in with the accelerator pump? The quantity would not be identical, but I would think not that much different, and you're seeing performance that's night-and-day different.

The source of the gasoline is different; could the gas in the car be old stale gas, or maybe have water in it? Does the engine run well after start-up, or does it seem a little weak?

village grande    -- 10-22-2016 @ 7:19 PM
  car runs great and starts right up all day long=your right whats the difference between pumping the peddle and dumping it in. It dose not make sense.

ken ct.    -- 10-22-2016 @ 9:37 PM
  I would bet $2 on the power valve. A lot of PV are being sold especially in kits from China that have a radius near the gasket surface which MUST be machined off to allow the gasket to seal properly. And some have a raised mold seam which also interferes with the sealing. Again lathe work. Another thing is some kits have a spark valve which is simaler to a PV and will screw in like a PV but works opposite to a PV. Mistakes in installation have been made before in some of the cores I receive. omo ken ct.

TomO    -- 10-25-2016 @ 9:27 AM
  Your car may need the choke to be pulled out to start it when cold.

Did you make your accelerator pump test before you cranked the engine?

Tom

GK1918    -- 10-27-2016 @ 6:04 AM
  Another thought that I seen time and time. A side from the power valve and a side from a
good pump squirt, I have found shrinkage on the bowl to throttle body so it sucks air just
like a hole in your throat and you can't breath through your nose > so your acc. pump squirt
gets diluted by air, thats why when more gas is dumped it starts. I have one right now with
the same problem . before you dump some gas, turn engine over with your hand over the
top you should get good suction and a wet throat, if not its that thin gasket that shrunk....

ken ct.    -- 10-27-2016 @ 6:37 AM
  Replace the PV with a good one and file so flat the underside of the bowl section and the top of the CI base section. I have good machined already new PV's available if you need. ken ct. email or PM.

village grande    -- 10-27-2016 @ 8:41 AM
  Ken CT--I ordered a new power valve from (Charlie NY) He machines the gasket surface and supplies the proper gasket. This power valve problem seems to be way to common. Thanks to all for input I'll keep you informed.

village grande    -- 10-29-2016 @ 12:18 PM
  This is a little embarrassing but I need to set the record straight. TomO suggested that the car may need a little choke. I was so used to the car starting during the warm weather without the choke that I was not using it correctly now that the mornings are cold sometimes in the 30es.
I've been using full choke for the last week and the car has started every time. I have the new power valve but have not installed it.
Getting old is not fun and it's easy to look right past the most obvious and create more problems. Thanks to all who responded.
Bill

ken ct.    -- 10-29-2016 @ 1:06 PM
  LOL Charlie machines all my PV,hes a super guy and does some machine work for me as I don't have a lathe. ken ct.

TomO    -- 10-30-2016 @ 9:51 AM
  Bill,

Don't be embarrassed.

In these days of the cars doing everything for you, it is easy to overlook things that you used to do automatically.

When you get to be my age, you will find that you still have a good memory, but your filing system has gone haywire. One minute you have a piece of information and the next second it is lost and you can't find it until you start looking for something else.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10190