Topic: Engine vibration

engine    -- 10-14-2016 @ 2:14 PM
  I have a 41 Ford Woodie, I have a vibration at high speed or at just sitting and rev the engine up. I took the engine out today and took the clutch and flywheel off. The clutch was replaced last winter thinking that was the problem. It is a 11" clutch and I was wondering if this is the correct version for the Woodies. I plan on getting the flywheel checked for balance but want to see if it should be a 10" clutch instead. Looking for others who may have run into this, hoping it is not in the lower end of the engine. The vibration is felt with my hand at the bell house not the front of the engine. Some of the teeth on the flywheel are worn on the one side but no broken ones.Thanks Tom O will see you tomorrow

supereal    -- 10-15-2016 @ 7:01 AM
  Does the vibration happen when the clutch is released and the engine is revved?

40 Coupe    -- 10-15-2016 @ 11:35 AM
  Some times the weights on the 11" will touch the bell housing casting. Do you have the original style block? 81A with raised deck for intake manifold? I believe the original clutch was 9" for the 85HP and 10" for the 100HP and 6 cyl. The 11" clutch will not bolt up to the 81A fly wheel. The 81A fly wheel has a recess flat spot for the clutch pressure plate. The 11 pressure plate is too big to fit the recess. So your flywheel has been changed or highly modified, or you do not have the original engine.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 10-15-16 @ 11:40 AM

engine    -- 10-16-2016 @ 11:50 AM
  Yes the engine vibration is with the clutch depressed or let out at high RPM's. I believe that the engine is the correct and original. I did some checking with Joe Abbin as the vibration he said to pull the engine out and check balance. I also had numbers on the heads and made in Canada stamped on them and Joe did some checking and that engine was used in cars,trucks,bus's . The truck engine used a 11" clutch. The engine has a 59 stamped on the back and the intake is flat across the block. I did not know if the Woodie used a 11" due to weight or the 10"car or 9". There are no indication of the flywheel or clutch hitting the bell housing. If everything is balanced I would think it would not matter what size clutch it would be. The 10" would be less weight being thrown around . The flywheel is not a 81A no depression in it, mine is flat on the whole surface. I am trying to get some information before taking it over to have it checked for balance. Thanks both of you for getting back to me.Let me know if you need more information. I just did some checking in the 41-48 book and saw that the 59 on the block is for the 46-48 engine, the top of the intake is flat all across the block. Add a little mistery to the story.One head has G7R-A and the other has 5AE7AT . There is also a C-2381 on the engine near the 59 number. Having done a little more research how can a 41 distributor fit on a 59 block when the 46-48 distributor is totally different?

This message was edited by engine on 10-16-16 @ 1:13 PM

40 Coupe    -- 10-16-2016 @ 1:15 PM
  If you want to balance, do the flywheel, pressure plate and the clutch plate. It is surprising how far off balance the pressure plate can be. Your correct about the 59 engine. The 11" can be tough on the leg.

carcrazy    -- 10-16-2016 @ 4:52 PM
  There is an adapter available to allow the '37 to '41 distributors to fit on the '42 to '48 Ford passenger car engines.

flathead4rd    -- 10-17-2016 @ 6:38 AM
  I have an 11" clutch in my 50 custom 2dr. Had a bad vibration similar to yours. Was definitely engine related. Took the flywheel and had it resurfaced. Then had it and the pressure plate balanced as a unit. They do not use the clutch disc during the balancing procedure. They will mark the flywheel and pressure plate with some type of mark so you can re-assemble them in the proper orientation to maintain the balance. Also check the bearing or bushing in the flywheel.

engine    -- 10-17-2016 @ 12:17 PM
  I took the flywheel and pressure and disk to a place this morning so I will wait to see what the results are. I will have the surface redone after the results of the balance. I did leave a new pilot bearing with it and it can be changed if they are able to do the other procedures. Talked with Tom O also about the distributor and it will be able to stay on even though it is a 59 block. I will keep in touch as I get the results. Thanks everyone Flathead did your vibration go away?

This message was edited by engine on 10-17-16 @ 12:19 PM

flathead4rd    -- 10-18-2016 @ 6:25 AM
  Yes. Vibration gone. Just a suggestion about your flywheel. I would have it resurfaced before you have it balanced and do not have the clutch disk installed during the balancing procedure, only the pressure plate.

engine    -- 10-18-2016 @ 1:52 PM
  Thanks good to know, but I wanted to know if it was out of balance first,they can recheck after resurface.

engine    -- 10-21-2016 @ 12:38 PM
  I went and picked up the flywheel and clutch today and the flywheel was in balance and the clutch was 17 grams out of balance. Do any of you know if that would make that big a difference on a 11" clutch? Flathead do you remember how much yours was out?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10163