Topic: 1938 85hp fan/generator belt

Dream38v8    -- 10-13-2016 @ 1:48 PM
  Doing routine maintenance on my new '38 DeLuxe Sedan. I ordered a new belt from Mac (78-8620C).The description stated 52" and when received it was 53". Either way the belt is to short. The current belt is a Gates Green Stripe 203 which measured 54+". Is there a trick to mounting the new belt? I have removed the generator bolt and I still can not install the new belt. I purchased an equivalent 203 from a local automotive store. It is wider and taller (side view of the belt). Even if I could get in on it probably would not seat correctly. Any ideas?

Head Banger

Ray

kubes40    -- 10-14-2016 @ 5:54 AM
  You can get Drake's repop belt on by tipping the generator quite a bit IF you have the small diameter pulley that was not introduced by Ford until late 1940. The belts were not made correctly - that's quite evident by anyone that has purchased one of them. The "C" suffix belt was produced for Ford in late 1940 to be used with the "new" smaller diameter pulley.
If you have the correct pulley on your '38, I doubt like heck it'll fit no matter what you do.

This message was edited by kubes40 on 10-14-16 @ 2:12 PM

Dream38v8    -- 10-15-2016 @ 3:55 AM
  Thanks for the advise regarding the generator pulley size. The Gates 203 is 54". I was able to locate another Gates belt that works. The Gates 203 is now in the trunk for emergency use only (it was well worn).

Ray

supereal    -- 10-15-2016 @ 12:20 PM
  It is important to know that the original Ford belts have a different pitch (side angles) than modern belts. They grip the sides of the pulley groove. This is important in preserving the shafts and seals of the water pumps. Newer type belts can bottom in the groove and cause slippage even with overtightening.

Dream38v8    -- 10-16-2016 @ 6:31 PM
  This is good to know regarding original belts vs. newer styles. I would love to use an original style belt, but I need a 54" not a 52". Where can I locate a 54"?

Ray

kubes40    -- 10-17-2016 @ 7:55 AM
  Ray, The authentic "A" belts are few and far between. When and if you do come upon one, they are pricey and most likely not for everyday use. Rather, they are best suited (my opinion) for show purposes.
I suspect not many guys realize there were three belts used in the '37 -'41 production. One, the "A" suffix belt was utilized with the large diameter pulley installed on all '37 - mid '40 production 85 /95 hp engines with cast iron intakes.
The "B" belt was installed on all '37 - '39 engines 85/95 hp that had aluminum intakes.
Finally a "C" suffix belt was introduced to compliment the "new" smaller diameter pulley introduced and installed on all mid '40 through '41 - 85/95 engines.
I've never measured one of Drakes belts but have seen first hand that they are borderline too short to be installed on any engine with a cast iron intake even with a small diameter pulley.
I simply can't imagine that one would fit a large diameter pulley.

TomO    -- 10-17-2016 @ 8:00 AM
  The closest belt in profile available today is the B type belt. You should be able to find one at your hardware store.

Here is a topic with the sizes and numbers of modern V-Belts.

http://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6575&keywords=belt

Tom

Dream38v8    -- 10-26-2016 @ 6:32 PM
  Thanks Tom, I found a B51 belt (54") at O'Reilly's. When installed it does seat differently than the Green Stripe 203. The 203 sat down and probably at the bottom of the pulley groove. The new B51 sits higher as you mentioned (probably resting against the side of the pulley). Now I have two (2) spare belts to use in an emergency. Thanks again from a newbie.

Ray

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10160