Topic: Looking for help in starting a 1936 Ford

forJJ    -- 10-01-2016 @ 9:54 AM
  I am looking for help in getting my 1936 Ford started. I have been working on it off and on for the past year or so, and have re-wired it, replaced/rebuilt anything I could think of, and it still wont start. I was hoping to find someone in Virginia that could help. I am located in the northwest part of Virginia, near Luray. Any referrals would be greatly appreciated.

carcrazy    -- 10-01-2016 @ 4:26 PM
  What happens when you try to start the car? Does the engine crank over rapidly enough that it could start?
Do you have fuel in the carburetor? Do you have spark at the plugs? Is the battery fully charged? Do you have fresh gasoline in the fuel tank?

If the engine turns over quickly enough so that it sounds like it could start, spray some starting fluid (ether) into the carburetor air inlet. If it does not try to fire up and run with starting fluid, there is a problem with the ignition system. If it fires but still won't run, suspect that the spark plug wires are not wired correctly or the timing is too far advanced or retarded. Do a compression check to make sure the cylinders have enough compression to support combustion.

What all has been done to the car since it last ran?

forJJ    -- 10-02-2016 @ 2:53 PM
  It is getting new, clean fuel. I re-wired the car, and was getting spark, but not anymore. Not sure what happened. I keep the battery charged, and had the distributor checked by Skip Haney in Florida. That's why I was hoping to find someone to help me with it.

carcrazy    -- 10-02-2016 @ 8:40 PM
  Are you using a coil adapter on top of your distributor that allows you to use a round "conventional" type of coil? If you are, the brush in the adapter that makes contact with the rotor may not be making contact. The brush is made of carbon and has a spring behind it to push it into contact with the rotor. I have had these brushes stick up in the adapter and no longer make contact with the rotor as required to complete the ignition circuit.

TomO    -- 10-03-2016 @ 8:35 AM
  There are 2 regional groups of the Early Ford V-8 Club in Virginia and one in Maryland. Contact the one closest to you and see if someone can assist you.

You can get assistance on this site, but it will only be as good as the questions that you ask. Here are some of my questions.

Please give a description of your ignition system. Is it completely stock? What changes have you made since trying to start the car?

Do you have voltage at the input of the coil? What voltage is it? Does it vary when you turn over the engine?

Tom

forJJ    -- 10-03-2016 @ 4:10 PM
  I am trying to keep the car as close to stock as possible. I had the starter and generator rebuilt, the distibrutor and coil checked/repaired by Skip Haney, and I have completely re-wired the car. Skip replaced the spring and contact on the coil, but I will check, maybe it got stuck. I have replaced everything that I can think of. I was getting spark for a while, but then it stopped. It was just long enough to almost start. It fired but didn't run.

I'll check the voltage at the coil next time I have some help. It might be a little while.

This message was edited by forJJ on 10-4-16 @ 4:15 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10126