Topic: Radiator

tommyleea    -- 10-01-2016 @ 6:40 AM
  53 Ranch Wagon..Stick shift...Radiator needs work..Has anyone used an aftermarket radiator for their flathead, and do they bolt in and hook up like original? I am looking at one from radiator express. It states 49 to 53 cars. Has brackets on the sides. Just wondering if they fit like original. They are about half the price of a recore on my old radiator.

TomO    -- 10-01-2016 @ 6:55 AM
  I don't know anything about the replacement radiator that you are considering, but I would be concerned that they can offer a radiator at half of the price of a recore.

These flatheads require a good radiator with louvered fins and the same cooling capacity as the original one supplied. The number of tubes, size of the tubes, number of fines and the design of the fins all enter into how a radiator cools.

Tom

tommyleea    -- 10-01-2016 @ 11:58 AM
  It is a 3 row flathead configuration from radiator express. The price is 227.00. I haven't received a final quote for my recore, but I think it will be around 500.00. Just wondering if anyone has used an after market radiator, and if it worked out or not.

trjford8    -- 10-01-2016 @ 4:34 PM
  The radiator you are looking at is probably an aluminum radiator. Check with US Radiator as they make a copper brass radiator for your application and they do fit correctly.

tommyleea    -- 10-01-2016 @ 8:10 PM
  Thanks, is aluminum a bad thing? I guess copper brass would be more original, and they say it cools better than aluminum. I see they do have a 4 row for the flathead. Thanks for the info...

This message was edited by tommyleea on 10-2-16 @ 5:40 AM

trjford8    -- 10-02-2016 @ 9:06 AM
  Aluminum radiators can be a problem as they cannot be repaired if a tube leaks. I have one car with an aluminum radiator( it came with it). It cools fine, but if it ever springs a leak I have to throw it away. Copper brass radiators can be repaired, that's why my other cars have copper brass radiators.

woodiewagon46    -- 10-02-2016 @ 9:48 AM
  Have you checked out Walker Radiator? I agree, stay with copper/brass.

tommyleea    -- 10-02-2016 @ 7:15 PM
  Walker had no matches. Thanks for the info though. I will probably just get mine recored.

TomO    -- 10-03-2016 @ 8:45 AM
  Again, I will caution you to have the re-core done by someone who knows the cooling requirements of the flathead.

There is nothing more frustrating than waiting for an engine to cool down so you can drive it or being stuck in traffic where you cannot shut off the overheated engine, because there is no place to park. That happened to me years ago when I got stuck on the bridge across the Mississippi.

Tom

tommyleea    -- 10-03-2016 @ 3:20 PM
  Thanks for the info Tom. We do have a radiator guy here in town. He cautioned me about the same thing when I took it in for an evaluation. He said he wouldn't feel good about just repairing it for the same reasons you mentioned. He recommended a recore. But, told me I wouldn't like the price. Waiting for the estimate now.

fenbach    -- 10-03-2016 @ 4:45 PM
  look at

http://www.thebrassworks.net/

if you have deep pockets.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10125