Topic: turn signal kits

runningon8    -- 10-01-2016 @ 6:32 AM
  I am new to the club having just purchased a 36 sedan and want to intall turn signals. I have seen the units that attach to the steering column for about $60 but I prefer the unit for $215 that attaches to the shifter. Are these hard to install? I have front amber fog lights that are not connected so I am thinking of using them for the front. Are the rear tail lights a problem to convert to dual element and I assume it's just a matter of running additional wires to the trunk. She's on a 6 volt system.

This message was edited by runningon8 on 10-1-16 @ 6:36 AM

TomO    -- 10-01-2016 @ 7:03 AM
  The stop light bulb or filament in the dual filament bulbs is used for rear turn signals in most cars. In that situation the wire from the stop light switch that used to go to the lights is replaced at the switch by a wire that runs from the switch to the turn signal switch and then the wire going to the left stop light is used for stop light and turn signal and another wire is run from the turn signal switch to the right stop light.

You can also install small auxiliary lights to be used as turn signals.

Tom

runningon8    -- 10-01-2016 @ 7:24 AM
  Thanks Tom.

runningon8    -- 10-01-2016 @ 7:36 AM
  Do you know if there is a light bar that you can put on the rear window inside the car on the deck lid perhaps that would incorporate turn signals and and or stop light. Only thing is it may not be for a 6 volt system.

runningon8    -- 10-01-2016 @ 7:50 AM
  I just found a 6 and 12 volt bar that attaches to the rear glass at J&L enterprises from a Model A website.

TomO    -- 10-03-2016 @ 10:07 AM
  There are a few 3rd brake lights for 6 volt cars. The Brakelighter is the one most people use. Ron Francis has a nice looking one and smaller ones that you could separate.

Google "6 volt 3rd brake light" for some choices.

Tom

Drbrown    -- 10-03-2016 @ 6:59 PM
  I installed the J & R Enterprises LED light bar to inside of my rear window. With a thin black surround its inconspicuous, hardly notice it, and its portable - installation doesn't damage your body - can move to your next car. Being in the rear window its very obvious to drivers behind you when it lights up - a good safety feature. Provides directional and brake light functions. Low electrical draw. About 12 inches long with small suction attachment each end. Easy wiring thru trunk into rear lights.

ports    -- 10-04-2016 @ 6:23 AM
  I installed this in my 36 Phaeton and they work well with LED 6 Vo;t bulbs and are bright. The from turn signal I used a set of fog lights. John P. of Charlotte,NC

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10124