Topic: Dual Circuit Brake Conversion

1936TWC    -- 03-30-2010 @ 1:26 PM
  I converted my 1940 Coupe to a Dual circuit brake system and I have the Lincoln Brake system in all four wheels. Currently, I am having trouble with a soft
pedal. Has anyone done a similar conversion? Did you have any problems and how did they get resolved. There
are various reasons why I am getting the soft pedal but I would like some feedback on the conversion process. Thanks.

supereal    -- 03-30-2010 @ 2:47 PM
  Are you using DOT3 or DOT5 silicone fluid? A soft pedal with DOT5 isn't unusual due to air entraining. Old Fords can be tricky to brake bleed, in any case,without using a bleeding tank. Be sure that the capacity of the dual master cylinder matches the wheel cylinders. Some dual master cylinders lack capacity and/or don't have the required valving to maintain residual pressure. If you have to pump the brakes to get a good "pedal", that's where I'd look first.

1936TWC    -- 03-31-2010 @ 10:25 AM
  Thanks for the reply. And that is the the key question;
How does one know if the master cylinder is the correct
size for the application? I am using DOT 3 fluid. There
is a possibility that I have air in the system and the brake are not adjusted correctly. I am using 1 1/8 wc
in front and 1 wc in back. The Master cylinder is a Mustang style. I looked up wheel cyclinder sizes for some early Mustangs and the wc were smaller. Any other
insights on this matter? Thankful for your help.

supereal    -- 03-31-2010 @ 11:25 AM
  I'd consult an expert, such as Dave Wilton. He advertises in the V8 TIMES. While brake systems seem to be fairly simple, they are not, and must be carefully matched to the application. Some systems, such as those on Ford trucks, have a softer "pedal" tha most. I have an '06 Lincoln Mark LT, and the brakes are OK, but took some getting used to because of the softness. We see it on lots of Ford pickups.

trjford8    -- 03-31-2010 @ 7:48 PM
  You might also talk to Richard Lacy at the Early V-8 Garage in Azusa, Ca. He is also listed in the V-8 Club roster and deals with brake issues.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1012