Topic: Electric fuel pump

BIGTERR    -- 09-22-2016 @ 10:29 AM
  Hi everyone, I have been thinking about installing a electric fuel pump in my 47 Merc. so I don't have to pour gas in the carb. to start the car after sitting for 2-3 weeks. I have no problem with vapor locks as yet. As MACS is just across the border I can pick it up. Any comments on the 6v. Carter pump they sell rated at 2-4 lbs. so I shouldn't need a regulator.
Thanks in advance for your help.

ken ct.    -- 09-22-2016 @ 11:52 AM
  Whyput something in the system to possibly go wrong. A properly rebuilt mech. pump with top shelf componants will do you just fine. OMO. ken ct. Ive been building Ford pumps for 20 yrs and have had mabey 2 come back out of hundreds ive done in that time.

Drbrown    -- 09-22-2016 @ 9:28 PM
  BIGTERR .... Ken Ct makes a valid point. A good rebuilt mechanical pump with ethanol-resistant components will last a long time.

To your issue .... if you search forum threads you'll see that your problem of gas leaking back into the main fuel line and tank after the car sits for an extended time is a common one. The problem may be the result of poor fuel line connections at the carburetor and/or fuel pump, or other internal problems at them.

The previous owner of my '47 had the same problem and installed an Airtex (pass-thru) electric near the tank, without a regulator. Although my mechanical pump normally operates the engine, I run the electric for about 4 or 5 seconds before starting the engine. With the choke out the engine starts immediately. Also, some allude to the fact that an electric back-up pump can get you "home' if your mechanical does fail (never had that experience).

I like the idea of having both options.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 9-22-16 @ 9:30 PM

ken ct.    -- 09-22-2016 @ 10:53 PM
  Gas will also evaporate after 2-3 weeks , not any things wrong with your pump. Could also be a weak valve but I douht it. ken ct. Solution start it more often !!! (weak fuel pump valve I mean)

This message was edited by ken ct. on 9-23-16 @ 11:42 AM

TomO    -- 09-23-2016 @ 6:44 AM
  Ethanol gas will evaporate and leak into the engine in a couple of weeks. A good fuel pump will contain enough fuel to start the car in a short time. It is important that the connections at the tank, flex line and fuel pump be good and tight, not over-tightened.

If you do install an electric fuel pump, use steel ine connections as the rubber line connections tend to leak vacuum.

Tom

woodiewagon46    -- 09-23-2016 @ 6:46 AM
  DrBrown, makes has some excellent suggestions. I would add that if you do install an electric pump to make it accessible and easy to remove with easily removable electric leads. Also if affordable, I would purchase an additional pump to keep in the car in case the pump fails on the road. Everyone that I know that has installed an electric fuel pump in their car recommends it.

BIGTERR    -- 09-23-2016 @ 10:02 AM
  Thanks everyone for the info. If I was to install an electric pump it would only be for starting and in case of a vapor lock. Any reviews on the carter pump from Macs.
Thanks

Drbrown    -- 09-23-2016 @ 2:08 PM
  Woodiewagon46's comment reminds me to say I carry a spare mechanical pump in my trunk .... a comparatively easy replacement on-the-road (as long as you remember your tool box).

wmsteed    -- 09-26-2016 @ 11:31 AM
  I have used electric fuel pumps in the majority of my older cars, RV's and boats as an aux to the mechanical pump. I always install the electric pump as close to the tank as possible, electric pumps push better than they pull.
Since the majority of us don't use our old cars on a regular daily basis, an electric pump in the system for priming purposes is a necessity.
An electric pump to combat vapor lock is a must in the old flathead Fords. I put one on my '36 Ford within a few months of purchasing the car in 1952..
I just put a new Carter electric pump in my '39 conv.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 9-26-16 @ 11:34 AM

len47merc    -- 09-26-2016 @ 8:57 PM
  With all due respect - IMHO electric fuel pumps are not necessities or required at all for a properly set-up, tuned and operating stock/original flathead and fuel system. Find and fix root causes (if you've the time, interest, resources and motivation to do so) and you will not find the need for them. I have seen and own flatheads that have sat for months without cranking with properly stabalized fuel in the (full) tank and with a full choke and 2-3 (at most) 10 second runs of the starter followed by 30 seconds of cool down time each round they fire right up. Have never seen or experienced a vapor lock EVER in 95+ degree temps with a properly set-up, tuned and operating stock/original flathead and fuel system.

Take the time to ensure your fuel system is buttoned-up tight (these systems can leak air in without leaking fuel out) and is flowing the proper volume and pressure of fuel as well as is 'carbing' correctly and it will take care of you without the need for the electric pump at all.

Steve

ken ct.    -- 09-26-2016 @ 11:33 PM
  Thank you Steve for your comments , I wholeheartedly agree an electric pump is a Band-Aid to cover up a underlying cause . Fix the problem and you wont need one. OMO ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10102