Topic: Flathead ignition Points or Electronic?

Dipper005    -- 09-21-2016 @ 7:48 AM
  Hi guys. I just put in electronic ignition in my 1948 Ford Flathead and the right flamethrower coil for the setup. Wired according to instructions. I left everything still 6 volt positive ground. The engine starts and runs beautiful then shuts down in about a minute. Wondering if anyone else has done this and what I need to know. The only thing that is installed different right now is the new coil. I've got it tipped at a downward angle, so I can reach the coil wire for now. Maybe that's a no no. I hope so. Thanks for any help or advise on this conversion.

ken ct.    -- 09-21-2016 @ 8:02 AM
  Welcome to the world of electronics. You should have left it an original points setup,dont try to reinvent the wheel. omo ken ct. They worked just fine for 70 yrs.

pauls39coupe    -- 09-21-2016 @ 8:38 AM
  Amen to Ken's reply, but what is done is done. Try turning the coil up right, as some oil filled coils don't like to run inverted.
Are you sure this is a spark issue? Have you checked for spark immediately after the engine stops?
Your other post mentions a clicking noise. It is possible the fuel pump is failing, thus the noise and the engine could be running out of fuel. Take a look down the carburetor when the engine stops, to see if you have fuel.
Please post back to let us know what you found.

Dipper005    -- 09-21-2016 @ 9:00 AM
  You may be right and I'll problably switch back to the points. Just thought I could run a system I didn't have to worry about cleaning and adjusting because of it being in such a wonderful spot.

Dipper005    -- 09-21-2016 @ 9:23 AM
  Again, I probably will go back to the point set up. Just thought I could get away from messing with the points sometimes after the car sits for awhile. There not that easy to get at. With the points the car would run good sometimes and the next time I start it,it wouldn't. I checked for spark after it stopped idleing and there was spark there. I know this cause I grabbed the spark plug wire while cracking to make sure. Checked to see if gas was getting to the carb and there was. That's why I asked if maybe the coil being tipped down was touchy. I'll tip up the coil and extend the coil wire and try it again. I have a rebuilt carb, fuel pump, and starter on this 48 Flathead V8. The 6 volt battery is older but I left my charger on it while cranking, and running. Just hear the fast clicking while cranking, not while it idles. Any thoughts. Thanks.

pauls39coupe    -- 09-21-2016 @ 7:36 PM
  Clicking when cranking only? The starter may have something loose inside. I would also look at the flywheel ring gear for damaged teeth.
You should see a nice blue spark about 3/16" long if you hold the plug wire off the plug. Use something insulated to keep from getting poked. If the spark is yellow or won't jump the gap, your problem is electrical.
Try contacting the EI manufacturer they may have an answer. If you had a original system I would look at the condenser or the coil as a source of your problem.
Just a thought, do you still have a resister in the system? It may be heating up then breaking the circuit temporarily.

Drbrown    -- 09-21-2016 @ 8:56 PM
  Now for something different .... I've had Electronic for years with no problems. I have a spare set-up in the trunk when doing trips. Recommend you consult with Jim at Bubba's. He does points and electronic systems.

Dipper005    -- 09-22-2016 @ 10:44 AM
  Thanks for the reply. I had taken off the resistor with the old coil, and the resistor from the distributor. I also bypassed the ignition and hooked directly to the battery, just to make sure there wasn't some resistance in the switch. That is how it acted though, run for a little while then shut off. Bought a new battery for it this morning just in case I wasn't getting enough volts to the distributor, and will turn the coil upright this afternoon. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again.

40topless    -- 10-06-2016 @ 11:57 AM
  I have gone thru 2 electronic units. Threw them over the cliff and went back to the point set up and what a relief!! Never again will I use electronic set up.

Drbrown    -- 10-06-2016 @ 9:12 PM
  Did you have your electronic unit and coil tested and set-up by a professional ? Is your electronic unit specifically made for positive ground ? Electronic units typically have compensaters and have certain minimum and maximum voltage limitations i.e.in your case say 25% under or over 6 volts. Generators and alternators also pose the problem of voltage "spikes". Bench testing them may indicate a problem. All this may result in shut-downs.

If you have a Pentronix unit phone the factory on a week day and discuss the problem with one of their technicians. I had to wait on-hold a few minutes but found them very helpful. If your unit is a Pentronix, they are warranted for 30 months from date of sale.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 10-6-16 @ 9:36 PM

cliftford    -- 10-07-2016 @ 6:44 AM
  In my opinion, the flathead ignition system, especially the pre 49 models, is one of the most reliable ever built. if properly set up.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10096