Topic: Intermittent Miss, Follow-up

JayChicago    -- 09-16-2016 @ 5:52 AM
  A couple weeks ago I posted about my 40 Ford with intermittent miss at cruise speed. Found something significant, explains at least part of the problem.

As suggested here, I changed the spark plug wires, and the inner distributor caps. The wires were good, but the connections at the distributor were bad. Three out of the eight ports in the distributor caps were burned black. Lots of arcing had been going on in there! Car runs much better now, cannot feel a miss, although its only been out on short test-drives so far.

There is still a remaining mystery though. The miss was more noticeable at cruise speed, engine still pulled well under acceleration until it got very warm, not what I would expect from a weak spark condition. I'm not done trouble shooting. Ken Isadore is sending a rebuilt carburetor. And I have yet to find an ignition resistor that doesn't produce more than 3.2 voltage drop.

This was first time for me changing spark plug wires. What a pain-in-the-butt to get the wires in under the outer bakelite distributor cap on the helmet distributor!

ken ct.    -- 09-16-2016 @ 12:58 PM
  Jay , easier to do with tubes ,wires ,caps, etc. off the car on a work bench or table. Snake 1 wire at a time through the tube to hook up. Install big rubber boots on the outside caps before you start. Its not easy when down to the last 2 wires especially the last one lol. Ive done many of them. Don't use the fatter 8 mm wires wont fit. Use copper or ss wires no carbon stuff. Also coil wire is supposed to go in there too. I run along the back side of tube (outside) and black wire tie it to the tube. Hardly noticeable when done. Having fun yet Ken ct. Make sure your in the right holes on the inside plate.

jwitt    -- 09-22-2016 @ 3:27 PM
  I use some wd-40 sprayed on the wires to help things slide around. It is a pain, though.

John

Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10084