Topic: 35 Ford Tailights on Constantly

36fordor    -- 09-15-2016 @ 3:55 PM
  35 Ford coupe taillights are on constantly regardless of switch position unless fuse is popped. Fuse is for both taillights & headlamps. Have vintage steering column turn signals which work when fuse is in.

Where, how to start on this? Thanks.

ford38v8    -- 09-15-2016 @ 4:41 PM
  The light you see is probably the brake light. Start your investigation at the brake pedal. Depending on whether you have the original mechanical brakes, or have installed hydraulic brakes, and if hydraulic, what brake fluid you use, all are factors, and will have different reasons, but all will direct your attention to the brake switch itself.

Alan

36fordor    -- 09-16-2016 @ 5:59 AM
  Without a lift I assume it's necessary to remove floor mat & panels to access brake light switch? Is this correct? I'm sure you're correct since you mentioned it. Experienced this on a Model A once.

Thanks.

ford38v8    -- 09-16-2016 @ 11:04 AM
  Yes, and easier accessed, also. Take care to not tear the floormat while removing it, as they become quite brittle in just a few years. Tell us what you find there, whether original, or hydraulic, as the switch replacement will be different.

Also, I see that you sent me a PM with the same question, and opened a second thread with a similar question. When discussing one subject, it is easier for all to stay with a single thread!

Alan

36fordor    -- 09-16-2016 @ 12:28 PM
  Thanks Alan. Brakes are original.

pinnsky    -- 09-16-2016 @ 12:45 PM
  I had this problem on my 36 after I installed a new switch. The simple fix is to bend the switch bracket if you can't adjust it with the mounting bolts. Took about five minutes under the car in jack stands.

ford38v8    -- 09-16-2016 @ 5:54 PM
  With the original mechanical brakes, the brake light switch mount is slotted for adjustment. I had to remove mine and lengthen the slot in order to attain the proper adjustment. You will see what is needed when you get the floorboard off. Check the travel on the brake pedal first, to make sure that it returns to the full upright position.

Alan

JM    -- 09-16-2016 @ 8:49 PM
  I work under my car all the time w/o a lift, but sure wish I had one at times. Maybe I am lucky that I don't have health issues that might prevent me from doing this. If I need to raise the chassis some, I put it up with jack stands under the axles at four corners. I can recall my brake lights staying on at one time, and a quick possition adjustment of the switch relative to the resting position of the brake pedal, fixed this problem.

John

36fordor    -- 09-17-2016 @ 6:34 AM
  Have removed two metal floor panels & switch is still not accessible. Can see switch but appears to me it is under floor panel that is not removable.

Can someone confirm 35 Ford coupe brake light switch is best accessible from underneath? I've ordered floor jack to use to try to get to switch.

Thanks.

TomO    -- 09-17-2016 @ 7:33 AM
  Use jack stand when ever you are under the car. Floor jacks and other hydraulic jacks can lose pressure suddenly and opin you under the car.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10083