Topic: clutch

ford1ford    -- 09-12-2016 @ 10:25 AM
  Is there any whey to help or stop clutch chatter short of replacing it.Also where is a good place to buy quality clutch parts

carcrazy    -- 09-12-2016 @ 11:49 AM
  What year Ford do you have that is experiencing clutch chatter? How bad is the chatter? Does the rear axle jump up and down when you engage the clutch? Older Flatheads, passenger car model years 1948 and older, have a solid torque tube connecting the engine/transmission to the rear axle. On these cars items that can contribute to clutch chatter are any connections between the drivetrain and the chassis: front motor mounts, engine radius rods, transmission mounts, clutch linkage components, rear axle spring, shocks, and shock links. If any of these parts are worn and have excessive play, clutch chatter can result. On the later Flatheads the rear axle mounting system is less of a concern.

CharlieStephens    -- 09-12-2016 @ 12:16 PM
  Depending upon the year (you should include that in your post) some vehicles had anti chatter rods between the frame and the engine. If required, are yours present?

Charlie Stephens

ken ct.    -- 09-12-2016 @ 12:47 PM
  Try tightening up on the rods if you have them,have to be real tight. Fort Wayne Clutch is the only place to get a clutch in Indiana. ken ct.

oldford2    -- 09-12-2016 @ 2:41 PM
  You need to go to Fordbarn and do a search on clutch chatter. Probably a hundred posts on the various causes of chatter. Don't throw away $$ guessing a new clutch will solve your problem. Motor mounts, transmission mount. rear shackle wear, and the list goes on. Plus, learning to start moving is important.
JMO
John

ford1ford    -- 09-12-2016 @ 3:56 PM
  Thanks carcrazy

Old Henry    -- 09-12-2016 @ 8:18 PM
  I would say no. I have tried everything ever suggested on my 47 - new motor mounts, transmission mount, Fort Wayne Clutch, machining and balancing flywheel and clutch, even replacing the crank shaft to eliminate a mere 2/1000th run out. After all of that I am still left with clutch chatter. I just got used to it and don't even notice it any more.

Drbrown    -- 09-12-2016 @ 9:28 PM
  My '47 has anti-chatter rods. I think Ford stopped installing them when they went to the open drive line ('49 ?). Although I replaced the two front and transmission motor mounts due to their age, I've not had a problem with clutch chatter.

I agree with carcrazy .... check other possible sources of chatter before replacing the clutch. i.e. I once had a car that got oil on the clutch plate causing it to chatter. The oil eventually wore-off and the problem stopped.

If you need to replace the clutch assembly, I understand from many forum postings that ken ct.'s recommendation re Fort Wayne is spot-on .... NOS or rebuild if possible/off-shore parts problematic.

TomO    -- 09-13-2016 @ 7:16 AM
  If you are talking about your 53 Mercury, it is probably the clutch, but you can try a couple of things.

Make sure that your motor mounts and transmission mounts are in good shape.
Make sure that your idle speed is 450-500 rpm

Learn how to release the clutch with the engine at idle speed until you feel it start to engage, then increase engine speed and fully release the clutch.

Fort Wayne Clutch is my choice also. When you install the clutch, make sure that you use wedges to release the pressure as you tighten the pressure plate bolts. Failure to do this can warp the pressure plate and you will have clutch chatter.

Tom

LarryK    -- 09-19-2016 @ 8:33 AM
  I had very bothersome clutch chatter on my 1939 Deluxe Tudor with a rebuilt clutch from Fort Wayne Clutch. I went back to Fort Wayne Clutch and explained the problem to Scott, one of their rebuilders. I believe he is a supervisor. He supplied another rebuilt unit and it is as smooth as my modern Mustang. He explained that there are rebuilding techniques that can eliminate clutch chatter. These include using a more resilient spacer between the two friction wear surfaces. I believe this is called a marcel. I would recommend talking to Scott of FWC. Since this rebuild, I have put nearly 2000 miles on the car and can drive it smoothly under all conditions of startup, backing, and maneuvering in and out of tight spaces.

As mentioned above, the engine mounts and transmission mounts need to be in good shape and properly tightened. Same is true for the so-called anti-chatter rods.

Larry

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10072