Topic: Low pressure brakes switch?

Grant    -- 09-09-2016 @ 5:06 AM
  Does anybody know of a source for a switch that would make the brake lights come on as soon as the pedal is touched, rather than having to push down really hard on the pedal before the circuit is activated?

I've installed a Brakelighter on our '36 which has ten bright LEDs that flash ten times. It works great, but doesn't come on until the pedal is pressed firmly all the way down.

The master cylinder is a 1969 dual reservoir unit sold as a safety upgrade by Bob Drake.

nelsb01    -- 09-09-2016 @ 7:24 AM
  I am using a Brakelighter in my 1949. And periodically I have to pump my pedal to get the brake lights to come on "immediately". I think you will find that your factory brake lights are also coming on slowly -- same as your Brakelighter.

I am also using silicon brake fluid and because of that, I am replacing my brake sensing switch every 2 - 3 years. I would replace your sensing switch first. There is a switch that will fit our Fords sold by Harley Davidson (the motorcycle people) but I don't have the part number. I believe that you have to change your wire connectors to make the connection. This switch is suppose to last with silicon brake fluid.

I usually find a vendor at a swap meet that has low pressure brake switches and buy a few extra. One goes into the parts in the trunk, a couple go on the shelf in the garage.

ken ct.    -- 09-09-2016 @ 8:42 AM
  Grant , original BLS can be adjusted to when the lites will come on by elongated mount holes and by shortening or lengthening the spring that pulls the pin to activate them. Remember I have a 36 and know it quite well. ken ct usa,

CharlieStephens    -- 09-09-2016 @ 11:28 AM
  If you are running silicon brake fluid try: Ron Francis Wire Works, https://www.ronfrancis.com, (800) 292-1940 for a switch designed for the silicon fluid.

Charlie Stephens

Grant    -- 09-10-2016 @ 8:08 AM
  Thanks very much. I'll let you know how this problem gets resolved.

Grant    -- 10-12-2016 @ 6:31 AM
  I have found a twenty year old Dick Flynn Tech Tips article which says:

"Silicone brake fluid works its way back into the switch diaphragm and stops the switch contacts from contacting. This prevents the stop lights from lighting. A very dangerous situation!"

Also........."the Harley Davidson stop light switch is a perfect replacement for the standard V8 stop light switch. The only modification required is a set of short jumper wires because the contacts on the Harley Davidson switch do not accept the bullet connectors used on the V8s."

And.........."The H-D switch part number is #720023-51A and costs the grand sum of $17.50."

Making a trip to the local Harley dealer was the answer to our problem. Their hydraulic switch is now on the '36. The brake lights are working great again .

That old part number has been superseded. It's currently sold as 72023-51E for $27.95, complete with two new connectors.

Made In Italy, for some reason. See photos.

Grant    -- 10-12-2016 @ 6:33 AM
  Second photo ............

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10066