Topic: brake question

mick41    -- 09-07-2016 @ 8:07 PM
  Hello:I have a 41 coupe, original unrestored. it has not been run in 3 years, and the brakes not working, dripping from the front of the M/C. although the car is low mileage original I intend to drive it regularly in the summer (minnesota). I have been advised that I should upgrade the brakes to duel reservoir system. my opinion is to replace the complete system with stock components.....so am looking for any opinion on this....and if opinion is to upgrade, any recommendations on brand or engineering....Thanks!!

cliftford    -- 09-07-2016 @ 8:49 PM
  To replace the stock master cylinder with a duel one would,in my opinion be expensive, complicated, and totally unecessary. An original one will work just fine. Considering the length of time it has been sitting,you might want to replace the lines hoses, and wheel cylinders as well.

TomO    -- 09-08-2016 @ 7:34 AM
  Because your car has never been restored, I would stick with the original type brake system. Correctly maintained, it will give you years of service. If you use DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid, flush the system at least every 3 years. This will remove the moisture that causes rust and brake cylinder failure. Dot 5 fluid does not absorb moisture, and therefore does not need to be flushed as often, but it is very hard to bleed and will give a softer pedal.

If you keep your car unmodified, and do not restore it, it may be qualified for the Rouge Class on the Early Ford V-8 Club's Concourse. Go to the HOME page of this site and click on NATIONAL CLUB INFORMATION, then select FORMS and then select NATIONAL JUDGING MANUAL for a description of the judging classes. Rouge Awards are very desirable.

Tom

trjford8    -- 09-08-2016 @ 8:10 AM
  mick41, your initial instinct to replace the brake components with stock parts is "spot on". As others have said, look at replacing wheel cylinders and hoses also. Starting with a new clean system will save you lots of problems down the road.

woodiewagon46    -- 09-08-2016 @ 9:56 AM
  Mick, there are virtually thousands of early Ford's on the road using a stock brake system. If it were me, I would get a quality new master cylinder and all new wheel cylinders and if necessary reline the brakes and cut the drums as needed. Sure the dual MC is safer but the stock system is just fine. At all costs, avoid anything made in CHINA!!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10061