Topic: newbe questions

mick41    -- 09-06-2016 @ 9:42 AM
  Hello All; I am new to this site, and a new owner of a 41 ford Deluxe business coupe, a 26,000 mile original unrestored. I know it was published on the cover of at least one of the V8 club magazines. I have yet to join the V8 club and will do that shortly...I have restored other cars, 68 roadrunner, 57 chevy. but this car is a whole new thing for me... It hasnt run in 3 years...so am hoping I can tap some of the experience here.
where is the best place to do research on these cars?
Where is the best place to get mechanical parts or repro parts (I am well aware of the inadequacies in the repro market)
As far as an unrestored car, can/should I buff the paint?, it has wax on it now.
Brakes not working, dripping from front seal of Master. and cant get fuel to the carb. so I have some work to do...Many Thanks for any Info. or advise!!,,,,My name is Mike and I am in Stillwater Minnesota.

ken ct.    -- 09-06-2016 @ 10:11 AM
  Mike welcome to the fords. Why did you disable your private messages. I have many restored components. I would rather PM you to discuss any needs you may have. Ken ct. email ,pm or cell 1-203-260-5945. Ive had 2 41's in the past so I know them pretty well and have a 36 coupe for the past 25 yrs as an almost daily driver. Mainly mech. engine parts.

mick41    -- 09-06-2016 @ 10:39 AM
  Thanks Ken,,,,I got the PM enabled now

ken ct.    -- 09-06-2016 @ 1:27 PM
  Thanks mick41 now people can converse with you off line,no one else sees what is sent. Retiring after 25 yrs of hobby-bisiness rebuilding carbs,fuel pumps,an dist for earley fords. Stock going at reduced prices. I cover all yrs from 34-52. Many small parts for rebuilding your stuff if you need to do it yourself. ken ct.

trjford8    -- 09-07-2016 @ 8:24 AM
  Welcome Mike,
For your research I would first purchase the Early ford V-8 Club's 41-48 Ford book. It can be purchased right here on this site.

Second don't "buff" the original paint. A power buffer has the potential in the wrong hands to burn through the paint. The paint on that car looks very nice and I would recommend the following; purchase a Meguiar's Clay Bar kit and follow the instructions. It's simple to use and will clean the paint of any old contaminants. After the clay bar treatment use the Meguiar's liquid polish/wax combination. It's all elbow grease work, but it will preserve the paint and give it a nice shine.

Third you can get brake parts from Napa Auto Parts for your Ford. If the car has sat for a long time and the MC is leaking, I would say you should replace all the wheel cylinders and the MC. Also you might want to replace the stop light switch as it may be full of crud (rust) from the old system. There are numerous vendors who handle NOS and repo parts for your Ford. One of them is Little Dearborn who is also located in Minnesota.

Fourth, you definitely need to join the V-8 Club. The V-8 Times magazine is a wealth of information for you. There is also a V-8 Regional Group in your area whose members can also be a wealth of information for you. Lastly visit here as often as you like for help on your "new" '41 Ford.

woodiewagon46    -- 09-07-2016 @ 10:02 AM
  Mick, from the picture it looks like a very nice car. All of the info posted is exactly what you should do. Don't be afraid to ask any questions on this site, There is a wealth of info here and everyone is willing to help. Welcome.

CharlieStephens    -- 09-07-2016 @ 11:35 AM
  Mick,

Before you do anything look into the judging classes. I believe there is one referred to as the "Rouge" class. This is for unrestored cars. The class has several areas, paint, dash, upholstery (ok, I am guessing on the areas but you get the idea). To be judged in this class the car doesn't have to be entirely original but just in several areas. Again don't depend on my brief description., read the rules. It looks like a nice car.

Charlie Stephens

mick41    -- 09-07-2016 @ 7:28 PM
  Many Thanks for the warm welcome and advise Fella's,,,,By the way, I dumped some gas down the carb and the flatty fired right up......

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10054