Topic: hight speed miss

rdofloor    -- 08-30-2016 @ 2:17 PM
  my 36 misses at high speed. I have put new plug wire on, rebuilt the carb, on comp. check is ok, new coil. At low rpm it is fine, has a little stumble when it is cold but not when it warms up. any help would be grateful.

Roger

ken ct.    -- 08-31-2016 @ 1:35 AM
  Depends how well you rebuilt the carb ?? Are all the plug wires in the right sockets ?? What carb is on it ?? Did you do any work on the dist (p0ints ,cond. rotor ?? Need more specifics on what you did. ?? ken ct/

TomO    -- 08-31-2016 @ 9:38 AM
  Pull out the throttle to get the engine running about 1,000 rpm. Short out the plugs with a screwdriver, one at a time, while listening to the engine speed. All plugs should cause the engine to slow some. If any do not, check the spark to those cylinders and repair.

Tom

ol 39    -- 08-31-2016 @ 9:52 AM
  i had a similar problem with my 8ba, ran good up to mid throttle, then started missing, losing power, after checking everything, found out there was a crack in the intake.

GK1918    -- 09-01-2016 @ 6:10 AM
  Your best friend is a vacuum gauge. that will tell you when this issue comes in.
You know a weak or broke valve spring will work perfectly at low rpms but
just won't cut it at higher rpms.....sam

this does happen time to time

This message was edited by GK1918 on 9-1-16 @ 6:11 AM

rdofloor    -- 09-01-2016 @ 7:36 AM
  ken
All the plug wire are on right, It runs fine at low speeds. I did not work on the dist. other than to put new plug wires on it. When I worked on the carb I put a carb kit in it and blew out all holes out with carb cleaner.
TomO
I did not pull out the throttle but I checked for a miss with a screwdriver at low rpm, and nothing but will try at higher rpm.
ol39
I do not thing it is a intake Manfold, as I replaced it because I had a hole in the bottom of it and I would leek oil out the rear main when I goosed it going down the road pushing oil out but not on the hoist a ideal. or high rpm.
Gk1918
I do not have a vacuum gauge but going to get one and check it. I did a compression check and all about 100.

roger

rdofloor    -- 09-01-2016 @ 2:03 PM
  would a head gasket cause this as I think It is bad, I am leaking fluid on the top of the heads next to the intake manifold?

Roger

rdofloor    -- 09-02-2016 @ 10:57 AM
  TomO

I have spark to all of the plugs at ideal and higher rpms, When I rev the engine up sitting still it does not miss, any other ideas? I have a modern coil on the car new 6v, I am still running with the resistor on the fuse I have 7.65 at the coil with the car not running. It jumps up to 13-14v with the car running at ideal

Roger

This message was edited by rdofloor on 9-2-16 @ 11:08 AM

MG    -- 09-02-2016 @ 11:04 AM
  Condenser?...

alanwoodieman    -- 09-02-2016 @ 12:56 PM
  pull the distributor and look inside the rotor for carbon tracks, I would bet it has been shorting out thru the rotor button to the shaft

ken ct.    -- 09-02-2016 @ 4:24 PM
  Depends on whose carb kit you used, did it containe a rubber accelerator pump,(junk) , a funny type inlet needle + seat or a rubber tipped one (junk) , most kits containe a power valve with a too high a # like 7.5. All these are typical of poor China made kits. I change all those parts to premium usa parts. Some kits contain 2 similar looking power valves ,1 is not a PV and if you installed the wrong one you got troubles. Sorry I don't have much confidence in DIY rebuilds.Too many are FU when I receive them for redoing. OMO There are you have to look for when rebuilding. Loose or sloppy AP link which will cause a hesitation in throttle among others nubies don't know about. ken ct 1-203-260-5945 cell. ken ct.

ken ct.    -- 09-02-2016 @ 4:28 PM
  Explain how you get 13-14 V when running with a 6V coil. Is this car 6 or 12 V ???????? ken ct.

TomO    -- 09-03-2016 @ 7:56 AM
  If you have a 6 volt car and are using the 1949-1955 Ford coil, you should bypass the ignition resistor and the coil has an internal resistor. Using both resisters could be the cause of a weak spark and your high speed miss.

You may not notice a miss with no load on the engine, that is why I had you short out the plugs and pay attention to the rpms.

Tom

rdofloor    -- 09-05-2016 @ 8:26 AM
  Found the problem, went to replace the condisor and found that the coil wire had burnt out and was shorting replaced both and runs great again.
thanks for all the help.
Roger

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10036