Topic: Flathead V8 fuel

JHamill    -- 08-22-2016 @ 6:48 PM
  So here's the deal. Yesterday I took my '39 Ford Standard Tudor out for a Sunday drive. I drove for about 45 minutes then stopped at a park for 20 minutes. When I went to start the car the engine would turn over but I wasn't getting any gas. It acted like vapor lock, however the air temperature was only 78 degrees. After about an hour of trying to start the car I finally removed the gas line to the carburetor, pumped about 3 ounces of gasoline into a cup and poured it directly into the carburetor. The car started right away. Today I was telling a buddy about this and he said I must have been using an alcohol added gasoline. But in fact I use BP regular blend with a Sta-bil marine stabilizer.
My question then is what type of gasoline would you recommend for a 100 hp flathead and do I need any type of fuel additive? Would it be worth it to use strictly premium gasoline?
Thanks for your help.

nelsb01    -- 08-22-2016 @ 7:52 PM
  Yes, the gas quandary .....
First, StaBil is only for stabilizing gas during storage. I have not heard it used during normal driving.
I would first check your pressure at the fuel pump. At that air temperature, unless your engine is running hot, you should not have had a problem. There is a pump test -- it should pump so much into a container (sorry, but I can't find the number) over period of time. If it doesn't do that, then the fuel pump is your problem -- pump or push rod.
Otherwise, you need to upgrade your gas -- yes, move from the 87 octane to the 91 or above. That will help.
Also, a quick fix if it is vapor lock, is carry a small cooler with ice in it, and keep a rag in the cooler. If it happens, take the rag out and wrap the gas line to the carb and the fuel pump. This should get you going the next time you crank it over. And if you don't need it, then keep a adult beverage in the cooler for when you reach your destination.
Here in the fly over zone, we try and use non-oxygenated gas when we can find it. We have a lot of lakes, so boats, jet ski need it.
There is a national website for finding non-oxy gas -- www.pure-gas.org

My thoughts --- there will be others

carcrazy    -- 08-22-2016 @ 8:48 PM
  The quickest and easiest way to deal with vapor lock when it happens is to spray a little starting fluid (ether) into the air intake. The car will usually start right up and begin pumping gas into the carburetor.

ford38v8    -- 08-22-2016 @ 9:01 PM
  The symptoms you describe can be attributed to heat soak following shutdown. This can happen in a very short period of time, even at a gas station for a fill up. One of the downsides of modern fuel formulations for cars having carburetors. Ethanol is only part of the problem we face today. Not a popular fix, but effective, is to raise your hood when you shut down after a drive long enough to fully warm your engine.

Alan

MICHV8    -- 08-23-2016 @ 4:15 AM
  and an electric fuel pump solves the issue?

BUCKAWHO    -- 08-23-2016 @ 4:35 AM
  Hi....I use only alcohol-free gas in my '51 Ford. It costs a bit more, but no vapor lock problems, even on hot days. I don't use additives either. The gas that I use is rated at 91 octane. Alcohol in the gas will vaporize even faster than the gasoline, causing vapor lock quicker than just plain gasoline. You can also insulate your gas line with a split piece of rubber hose from the pump to the carb, and rearward from the pump toward the tank away from the engine compartment. Also, make sure that your gas line doesn't run near any exhaust pipes between the tank and pump. Hope this helps. BT

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10010