Topic: Rusted-up steering lock

Larry Lange    -- 08-22-2016 @ 10:36 AM
  I have a 36 Ford steering column drop, with all the lock parts, that's rusted solid. Spraying it with my old standby, PB Blaster, isn't helping. What's the best thing to use, or the best technique, to free up this mechanism so I can clean it up and use it?

Larry Lange
Puget Sound Regional Group #18
larrylange36@comcast.net

40 Coupe    -- 08-23-2016 @ 4:56 AM
  Do you have a key for the lock cylinder? The PB Blaster is good. It may be best to remove the lock cylinder and then the ignition switch parts on the rear. This may expose more rust that can be removed and then gently tap the end of the lock bolt with a rubber or plastic dead blow hammer to get it to move. If you get the bolt to move toward the column it will lock the steering. A screw driver can be used in the lock cylinder hole to gently pry the lock bolt back to the unlock position. The lock cylinder has the key code marked on the side. The 36 cylinder is a one year only item and can be very hard to find another exactly like the 36.

Larry Lange    -- 08-23-2016 @ 8:01 AM
  Thanks, 40 Coupe. I don't have a key for the lock. The whole thing is rusted solid. PB Blaster, so far, hasn't helped. I could keep soaking the mechanism with it but I wondered if there's a more effective method.

ken ct.    -- 08-23-2016 @ 1:30 PM
  Try soaking in white vinegar for a few days full strength. ken ct Its supposed to dissolve rust. Its cheap and worth a try. ken ct

VT/JeffH    -- 08-23-2016 @ 2:53 PM
  Hi, I've been doing some reading over on the 'barn about rust (search Rust911). Recently got a gallon of Rust911 but haven't mixed it up (it turns into 16 gal for $60 delvered, link below is 1gal for about $17) or tried it on anything. I have a splash pan I want to try it on, but have to devise a container that won't take six gallons, or fix up a fluid cycle system.

It would be perfect for your lock because you could dunk it in a small container pretty easily.

If you try vinegar, what I read is that it looses it's power pretty quickly as it works, so you might try a fresh batch each day if a long soaking doesn't seem to help. Again, haven't tried it.

http://www.rust911.com/rust911-free-shipping-16x-ultra-concentrate-rust-remover-makes-1-gallon/

-VT/JeffH

This message was edited by VT/JeffH on 8-23-16 @ 2:55 PM

mrtexas    -- 08-23-2016 @ 9:14 PM
  I second the Rust911. The stuff is a miracle worker for when you want to dissolve rust without leaving a residue like inside a lock. I've used it on locks and glove box hinges. If you are in a hurry you can use Evaporust, same stuff but more expensive.

This message was edited by mrtexas on 8-23-16 @ 9:15 PM

Larry Lange    -- 08-24-2016 @ 10:58 AM
  Hey, thanks for the suggestions, folks. Hadn't thought of vinegar, and I think I'll give it a try. Hadn't heard of Rust 911, either, so it's another option. After I sent the original message I did hear of a penetrant called croil (not sure of the spelling), which I'm also told will work though it may take a while, like the vinegar. Thanks for the responses!!

Larry Lange, PSRG, Seattle

VT/JeffH    -- 08-24-2016 @ 4:51 PM
  Hi Everyone, Larry, PB Blaster and Kroil or AeroKroil (a personal first-choice), are both penetrants and can only loosen stuck stuff or do light rust prevention. The Rust911 and Evaporust are going to make rust go away like magic. Vinegar don't cost much though.

I'd be super-willing to double cryo-pack a pint or so and mail it to you but the Post Office don't like liquids. Mebee we can work something out. I'm in the mid-atlantic region

-VT/JeffH

This message was edited by VT/JeffH on 8-24-16 @ 4:58 PM

mrtexas    -- 08-24-2016 @ 5:30 PM
  Evaporust which is the same active ingredient although much more expensive per mixed gallon as Rust911 is available at Autozone and other parts houses. It dissolves rust without leaving a residue. IMHO I'd stay away from acidic vinegar as locks often contain pot metal.

This message was edited by mrtexas on 8-24-16 @ 5:56 PM

Larry Lange    -- 08-26-2016 @ 10:23 AM
  Hi, Jeff. Thanks for the offer regarding Kroil, Rust911 and Evaporust. If I need them I suspect there are suppliers here. I appreciate everyone's suggestions.
Larry Lange / PSRG

pinnsky    -- 08-26-2016 @ 1:26 PM
  Evapo Rust is sold at Harbor Freight

Robert/Texas    -- 08-28-2016 @ 5:20 AM
  Mix half and half acetone and ATF. That works better than the other stuff for me and is a lot cheaper.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10008