Topic: 1935 pickup, fluid, grease question

grovesmr    -- 04-01-2016 @ 10:46 AM
  A couple months ago I joined asking some questions about a 35 pickup project I was about to start. Well I'm back again...

My frame is coming along suspension rebuilt and steering box and column and column shifter rebuilt. Also the 39 brakes that were on it have been completely rebuilt with new cylinders and lines and shoe linings. I'm at the point of reconstructing the parking brake that was completely missing from parts laying around and rebuilding all the hubs which brings me to my questions.

Searching the forum here I found that I should use sta-lube sl3131 for packing my wheel bearings. This has been hard to find locally so is there a suitable alternative. Also I saw that people here suggest 140w gear oil for the diff and trans and steering box but I thought I saw elsewhere to use 600w for these.

1935 pickup, 39 brakes, 49 8ba motor, 1940ish steering column and column shifter/trans.
https://youtu.be/aRVPcmm8_xw I think will take you to my video journal of the build sorry about the low production value

alanwoodieman    -- 04-01-2016 @ 6:53 PM
  go to a NAPA for the CRC Sta-Lube SL3131 they have it or can get it. order online if you have to--this is what you need for the rear wheel bearings-accept no substitute. for front wheel bearings use any good drum brake wheel bearing grease. use 85W140 for the trans and the rear end, don't overfill just to below the fill plugs. use a mixture of 1/2 to 1/2 synthetic grease/85w140 doping in the u-joint housing area and in the steering box--I use an air operated grease gun to put this in the u-joint and a squeeze bottle to put into the steering box

grovesmr    -- 04-02-2016 @ 9:37 AM
  It took a few days and a few attempts for Napa to pull it in from another store but they finally found it and I got the sl3131 this morning. So I'll have the Hub's back on today. Thanks for the clarification on the other oils.

Another thing I found a radiator today in grandpas parts pile, I saw it before a year or so ago and I must have forgotten about it because it only had one inlet and outlet so I set it in my mind as a trashed model a rad. Pulling parts today for the parking brake I noticed it wasn't a model a rad. Upon a closer look it looks like it's a modified flathead rad. And fits pretty nicely in my 35 pickup grille. Without a known 35 rad I'm not sure if I'm just missing parts. It may be fixable but for the moment I just want to use it to mock up the front end, I'll attach some pics

grovesmr    -- 04-02-2016 @ 9:38 AM
  Duplicate post

This message was edited by grovesmr on 4-2-16 @ 9:42 AM

grovesmr    -- 04-02-2016 @ 9:48 AM
  More pics

grovesmr    -- 04-02-2016 @ 9:53 AM
  More

grovesmr    -- 04-02-2016 @ 9:56 AM
  More

grovesmr    -- 04-02-2016 @ 10:11 AM
  Last one

grovesmr    -- 04-02-2016 @ 10:41 AM
  Maybe you can tell why I think it's been modified, plugs have been welded or brazed to cover up the driver side hoses, plug on the top end tank and a neck added. Construction seems remarkably similar to the 35 roadster here so I want to say it could have been a truck rad. It doesn't quite fill up the back grille sh*ll though. Like it is missing some mounting tabs. For mock up I'll make some tabs if this is the correct rad or I'll have to keep looking for a rad

engine    -- 04-04-2016 @ 2:10 PM
  Not sure what the 35 u joint looks like ,if is the same as a 41 I used the corn head grease from John Deere as was in another discussion. Just put the 3131 in my rear bearings also.

grovesmr    -- 04-04-2016 @ 3:22 PM
  thanks Engine, im not really sure what ujoint i actually have, as my project came as a Frankenstein conglomerate. i saw another post about some john deere grease and what alan said about mixing for the ujoint. ill assume the same will be suggested for all those ujoints.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=9537