Topic: engine/trans/cab orientation. 40 3/4 ton

denofiniquity    -- 12-09-2015 @ 9:37 PM
  Having repaired the cab, and reproduced the cab mounts, set the engine in chassis using new mounts up front and original trans mount, whereas the actual supports extend through the crossmember only about an 1/8 inch, the engine sits at such an angle the, it just can't be correct. We didn't notice that when we disassembled. I have compared front mounts, (we have 3 complete flatys), trans mounts on the tranys and 2 trans mounts as found inside the crossmember. All is identical. Were these not level, as checked at the carb. To make it level we have to shim the trans upwards about 3 inches. Anybody?
Thanks for your time.

alanwoodieman    -- 12-11-2015 @ 5:03 PM
  is the intake on the engine? if so put a level on the carb base--it should be close to level. engine is lower in the rear. rubber portion of the front engine mount goes thru the frame a small amount and the bolt with a washer goes in from the bottom up thru the water pump flange (engine mount) with enough room for a washer, nut and cotter pin. some of the newer repro engine mounts are just too tall.

denofiniquity    -- 12-16-2015 @ 10:06 AM
  from the top surface of the frame to the bottom surface of the motor mount is 1 1/4 inch.

The trans mount, frame, on the 3/4 ton comes in from the bottom, protrudes through the frame through the 2 trans mounting holes, about an 1/8 inch, the trans sitting directly upon those. I think the question here would be, is/was there another 1/2 of the mount that sits on top of the crossmember. We took 2 of these apart, all original and there was no space, well 1/8 inch, between crossmember and trans.
Unfortunately we didn't notice just how level the top of the carb is. By the way the chassis is sitting with correct dia wheels and tires. It take raising the rear, at trans mount, approx 3 inches to bring the carb top level.
I believe you had sent me a link to a factory manual. Unfortunately have misplaced that.
Thanks, Dennis

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=9205