Topic: 1951 Paint

jch1960    -- 09-27-2015 @ 9:34 PM
  I have had my '51 F-1 shopped out to have all of the body work done. The truck is now ready for painting. I am going to have it painted Meadow Green. My question is, would the underside of the fenders be painted black or the body color? Also, what would the underside of the cab be painted? Thanks for your comments.

nelsb01    -- 10-11-2015 @ 2:50 PM
  I believe that all parts were painted one color during the paint process. So, fenders were body color both sides.
As for the Cab -- it was primed and then painted. I think that you will find, depending on assembly plants some undersides were painted body color and some were left in primer.

51f1    -- 10-13-2015 @ 6:45 AM
  The fenders and extensions were painted body color inside and out and then assembled. The underside of the cab was left in red primer. Some body color would have been over-sprayed on it. It could have been painted body color at some plants, however, in those days, Ford's philosophy regarding paint was "less is better." Also, in those days, the primers used did not protect against rust very well without a top coat. Today, I would put body color on the cab bottom for extra protection.

Richard

jch1960    -- 10-14-2015 @ 8:51 PM
  Thanks for your input!

jal9846    -- 11-11-2015 @ 3:02 PM
  I agree with 51F1...I think you will find that the amount of paint applied to the underside depended upon the design of the carriers and how much access the painter had to that portion, and the painter himself...and how willing he was to get down low and get good coverage. One trick that works well if you are going to try to emulate the factory primer with overspray condition is to spray your primer underneath then clearcoat it. You can add a flattener to match the desired sheet you want. Then when you paint the color on the cab...just spray it as normal, but don't purposely spray the full undersize...just allow the overspray from above and the rockers to get where it goes naturally. This will leave you with a factory correct finish that is durable and easy to keep clean underneath...due to the clearcoat. I have attached a photo showing this application on a 1948 Mercury as reference.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=9025