Topic: 1938 pickup

Sparky marky    -- 04-02-2015 @ 6:48 PM
  I own a 1938 pickup that is numbers matching , I have noticed that the heads on the motor are "81T" would these be original ? Most info I've found show other numbers and these seem to note a higher compression head .

TomO    -- 04-03-2015 @ 8:11 AM
  The parts catalog says that the 81T heads were first used in 1939. The heads on your engine look like the ones that came on the 95 HP engine.

Tom

Sparky marky    -- 04-03-2015 @ 4:15 PM
  Thanks Tom O , this is what I've found as well , I'll have to do some additional research with the serial numbers , the bell housing numbers and frame match up .....but not sure why the heads would have been changed ( the truck is very close to stock ) . I also have found the ignition system is a bit different then stock , distributor , coil and generator would not be used on a stock 95HP motor . Thank you for your input .

TomO    -- 04-04-2015 @ 7:34 AM
  From your photos, the distributor and coil appear to be from a 1946 engine. The voltage regulator is an after market or from the 50's and the oil filter is also from a vehicle manufactured after 1938.

It would not be unusual for a pre-WWII truck engine to be exchanged for another engine at some time in its life.

The 1939 and 1940 95 HP engines had 99T stamped on the right side of the machined surface where the intake manifold mounts and the front of the block where the timing gear cover mounts, projects enough to allow an old round pencil to rest on top of it.

Here is a link to a post on the Ford Barn that identifies the flathead blocks from 1932-1953.

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25301&highlight=flathead+block+differences&showall=1

Tom

Sparky marky    -- 04-04-2015 @ 7:59 AM
  Thank you Tom O. In the process of getting this truck running and driving I was in the replace what was there mode and realized that some parts within the engine compartment had been from later years , the second owner worked at a Ford dealership prior to the 60s and may have done some changes then . The motor runs good with the stuff that's on it and I think once I identify what is correct and not I will start sourcing those parts .

Sparky marky    -- 04-04-2015 @ 3:55 PM
  On the top of the back of the block stamped is a "47" same side on front a small " T" stamp also there is a set of numbers with stars at each end stamped on the oil filter side ( these do not match bell housing and frame ) any thoughts ?

Sparky marky    -- 04-04-2015 @ 5:43 PM
  I think this would confirm that this motor is either a 1946 or 1947 as the Bell housing is cast with a "59 " on the top ( shown in photo . Thanks much for your input Tom O. It led me down the right path .

TomO    -- 04-05-2015 @ 7:49 AM
  The 59 cast into the block denotes a 45-48 engine. The numbers with the stars at each end may be the serial number of a vehicle that the engine was installed in or just a rebuilders serial number.

That is a nice looking truck

Tom

Sparky marky    -- 04-05-2015 @ 8:03 AM
  Thanks Tom , I've really been enjoying this project and history lesson. My intention is to bring this truck back as close to original as possible and drive it more this year .

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=8378