Topic: Distributor for 1934 Ford V8

billjonkey    -- 03-22-2015 @ 7:51 PM
  I removed the distributor from the 34 Ford truck V8, sent it to Skip for rebuild with coil, got it back, installed it but cannot get any spark at points or plugs. I know Skip is busy and will eventually get back to me, but maybe someone else knows the answer to my question. I have the primary wire from the ignition going to rear of condenser (right?) but NO wire leading from condenser to coil, consequently no volts to distributor...how does the coil get voltage? I think I am missing a wire somewhere.

Help? Thanks, Bill

MGG    -- 03-23-2015 @ 7:27 PM
  Did you install the small spring loaded brush in the bottom of the coil before installing it? The brush rubs on the rotor which sends the power to the spark plugs. When Skip sends back a coil sometimes he has a new brush taped to the coil somewhere.

billjonkey    -- 03-23-2015 @ 8:16 PM
  Yes, I got that part from Skip. Today I was able to at least get a spark, although yellow in color. I hope a new condenser will get me back to a good blue spark.

Many thanks!

MGG    -- 03-23-2015 @ 8:54 PM
  A good condenser is a must. What did you do today to get the yellow spark?

billjonkey    -- 03-26-2015 @ 9:11 PM
  Turning it over with the starter got the yellow spark. I have a new condenser ordered so hopefully that will solve the problem.

Thanks for your help...bill

ken ct.    -- 03-26-2015 @ 10:15 PM
  If a new cond. don't work , I would remove dist and closely check the gap on the points with the coil in place that is a must. Don't ask how I know. ken ct.

billjonkey    -- 03-27-2015 @ 8:43 PM
  thanks so much Ken

ken ct.    -- 03-27-2015 @ 10:28 PM
  Also the cone shaped spring on the bottom of coil must be in the cup of the points. The coil must be placed down onto the dist parallel with the gasket surface. Do not tilt coil either toward front or back when installing. Otherwise the spring will get caught behind the cup and touch the point plate and a direct ground will happen (a no start cond.) ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=8343