Topic: Snow Plow

waynearnyF3    -- 02-09-2010 @ 10:46 AM
  I've got a '51 F3, and I need a snow plow for it. There has to have been some manufacturer that build one that would fit it! Does anyone out there know who that company might be, and/or where I might find one?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne Arny
Galesville, MD

supereal    -- 02-09-2010 @ 11:40 AM
  There are lots of snowplow manufacturers out there, such as Western, but the trick is to locate a mount for such an old truck. If you can find a blade and lifter, it is likely that a mount will have to be fabricated for it. We just adapted a Western plow for an '82 pickup that was built from scratch. It had power angling, which is important. The new style plows have very different mounts now than those of just a few years ago. The best source is a dealer, as many old plows are being replaced. If the reports are correct, I suspect you need a bulldozer to mover your snow!

trjford8    -- 02-09-2010 @ 3:52 PM
  In addition to Bob's advice you might call RPM Motorsports in Albert Lea, Minn. 1-888-223-1864. These guys have a big salvage yard with a lot of late 40's and 50's parts and most of it Ford. Since they are in snow country they might have old snow plow parts or know of a source.

waynearnyF3    -- 02-11-2010 @ 8:14 PM
  Thanks for the info! And you're right, I'll probably need a bulldozer! Fortunately, we were out in Steamboat Springs with our son and his wife, so we're stuck where we can take advantage of the snow!

waynearnyF3    -- 02-11-2010 @ 8:15 PM
  I'll do it. Great suggestion. Thanks for the help. I need to prepare for next winter!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-28-2010 @ 1:06 PM
  did you try any tractor dealers ?
they do make plows for many tractors,and can be adapted for many applications,
and any good welding shop can made the attachment for your truck for modern plows,
it is mostly flat steel plates,
does your truck have a PTO to run the hyd pump,
this will save you from making brackets for the engine,
old JEEPS [ 50-60's ] had a hydraulic pumps that could be adapted to just about anything,I think they were called MONARK ,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

Stroker    -- 02-28-2010 @ 3:16 PM
  Both Meyer's and Western also make plows that have electric-driven pumps.

supereal    -- 03-01-2010 @ 7:33 AM
  The Western pumps combine a starter-type motor with a cable operated valving system to control both lift and angling. PTO systems are mostly for the large highway plows, and require lots of plumbing. If you buy a junkyard pump unit, be sure it hasn't been damaged by freezing. They have a tendency to leak around the cable connections, allowing water to enter the reservoir. Otherwise, they tend to be "bulletproof".

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-02-2010 @ 3:11 PM
  if you want it to work and count on it, use a hydraulic pump driven off the engine,
the electrical are expensive to repair,and are 12 volts, not unless you run the truck on 12 volt already,otherwise you will have to convert.
I used both, and went from MEYERS elect [ lots of problems and costly ] to my simple MONARH PUMP, 20 years ago, and it still working,just last year I installed a new lift pump,
old FORD and DODGES in the late 1960 and 1970 and early 1980's had hydraulic pumps, with power angle,
you might be able to find one, try E-BAY,these also benifit that you do not draw power from the battery, and the headlight stay bright also,
HOPE thishelps,37RAGTOPMAN
I knew a guy that had a 1950 FORD big truck with a snowblower , driven by a 6 cylinder engine mounted on the back of the flatbead,the truck had 50 miles on it and it was stored outside, going to pot
this was 20 years ago,

supereal    -- 03-05-2010 @ 8:50 AM
  My '82 Chevy pickup plows snow every year with a Western blade, and the only repair since new was a cable replacement due to my failure to repair the cover gasket on the lift unit, allowing rust to ruin the pivot. The control triggers a starter solenoid with simple contacts, and the valves in the unit do the rest. There was never an electrical problem, day or night, as long as the battery was in good condition. I'd be concerned using a plow on any truck old enough to use a six volt system. If I was going to do that, I'd install a 12 volt alternator and two six volt Optima batteries inh series. Then, the truck can be run from a tap between the two batteries, while the series arrangement feeds the plow unit. We did this on several old trucks over the years, as most owners run these plow trucks until they actually fall apart from the salt and slush common to the application.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=781