Topic: clutch shimmy

callbald    -- 06-13-2014 @ 7:34 PM
  Just bought 39 ford 1/2 ton pickup that ran great and had it shipped home from Michigan. I drove the vehicle a good 25 miles without an issue. I drove the truck onto the hauler trailer, the driver strapped it in place and I followed the truck home to Indiana. When I tried to back it off the trailer bed, the clutch had a violent shimmy. I really worked it to drive it off and now it has violent shaking and not wanting to go when taking off in first gear or reverse. Even the best clutch feathering doesn't help. I think the driver caused damage by over-torqued the tiedowns pulling from each end ot the truck. Once it gets going, it shifts and drives fine. any thoughts on what to look for? very depressed, help

supereal    -- 06-13-2014 @ 8:58 PM
  Clutch shimmy, usually called "shudder", is a common problem with old Fords. It can be due to soggy motor mounts, both front and year. Over the years, the rubber deteriorates, either soft from oil leakage, or petrified from age. Replacement is not expensive or difficult. The center bolts should be tightened until the "donuts" bulge a bit. Of course, a worn, burned, or oily clutch will produce the shudder. I doubt the transporter can be blamed. The clutch may have been slipped a bit when the truck was loaded, allowing the clutch disk to be burned clean, and an oil leak at the rear main bearing could have brought the problem back. There are other possibilities, such as a loose or broken rear spring, or its mount. Don't be discouraged. Old Fords have quirks that most of us have discovered.

callbald    -- 06-14-2014 @ 4:41 AM
  Thanks, I didn't say he hauler strapped it down using the rear axle assembly and stretched to the end of the trailer and not downward. The rear straps were crossed I was thinking the force could have pull things out of alignment. I did not see how the front end was anchored. Trying to find someone in Fort Wayne area to tackle the problem that is larger than I can handle.

supereal    -- 06-14-2014 @ 12:20 PM
  The 2014 member roster shows several Ft. Wayne Club members. They may be able to direct you to a shop that knows old Fords. It is getting tougher to find those. Our shop gets calls and business from that list. We recently set up a rear end and matching drive shaft for a customer in Florida after he had problems finding good work there.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=7419