Topic: 40 Ford PU Starter Solenoid Problem

rdevarga    -- 06-10-2014 @ 10:25 AM
  My interior starter button is not functioning on a fresh rebuild w/ 12 V conversion.

I have tried:
--Solenoid 01A-11450 6V and
--Solenoid B6A-11450-A 12V

Starts easily by jumping solenoid right terminal (positive battery/dash harness) to small "S" terminal on both units.

It is not working as a ground activated unit using the original one wire interior start button.

Although it starts easily using the solenoid button on the 01A-11450 unit from the engine compartment.

Totally stumped on this one.

Thanks,
Richard deVarga

Richard deVarga
Austin Texas

cliftford    -- 06-10-2014 @ 12:07 PM
  It sounds like you are using a solenoid that needs to be energized from a power scource rather than grounded,which your origional button is doing. You need a 2 terminal starter button and a circuit that runs from the battery or 12v scource through the button and then to the S terminal.

rdevarga    -- 06-10-2014 @ 1:58 PM
  I am utilizing a new (original cloth style) wiring harness.

Is it not possible to get a ground activated solenoid that is compatible with the original single wire starter button? The two I have(1 @ 3 pole and 1 @ 4 pole) seem to be positive activated.

Richard deVarga
Austin Texas

This message was edited by rdevarga on 6-10-14 @ 2:22 PM

cliftford    -- 06-10-2014 @ 3:08 PM
  I'm not sure if the solenoid you want is available good quality, in 12v. There's a lot of foreign made junk out there, especially electrical items. Maybe the other guys have some input on this.

supereal    -- 06-10-2014 @ 3:31 PM
  If you use a solenoid with two small terminals on the front, you can use the original starter button if you connect the button to one terminal, and the other to the large terminal directly connected to the battery. The small terminals represent the ends of the solenoid coil. Most early Ford solenoids make the connection internally. The solenoids with only one small terminal usually make a ground connection inside. You can determine which you have with an ohmmeter. Connect one meter lead to the solenoid mount, and the other to the small terminal. If you get a reading, the unit must be energized by feeding thru a starter button connected to source of battery power. We get the "universal" type with two small terminals at NAPA.

49fordv8f4    -- 06-10-2014 @ 5:11 PM
  You can use a Napa # ST 56 or Borg-Warner S601 solenoid. They are both a replacement for the Ford 59B-11450 12V bus solenoid. They have an insulated base and a single small post that must be grounded to energize like the original 6V units. I am using the Borg-Warner unit on my '49 F4. They do have a bakelite case so, they don't look like the original units.
Mark Poley

TomO    -- 06-11-2014 @ 7:29 AM
  First make sure that you have the solenoid wired correctly. The battery cable and the wire to all of the rest of the car go on the large terminal that is on the driver's side of the car and the other large terminal goes to the starter. The center terminal goes to the starter button.

The center terminal should have about 12 volts on it with no wires connected to it. If it doesn't have 12 volts, you must supply 12 volts to it from the starter button. Use a 2 terminal starter button that is insulated from the dash. Wire one terminal from the circuit breaker input and the other will go to the solenoid.

If it has 12 volts, connect the starter button wire to the center terminal and try to start the car.

If the solenoid does not pick, take a jumper wire from battery ground to the center terminal. If that works, you either have a bad starter button or you will need to clean some paint off of the dash to provide a good ground for the button.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-11-14 @ 7:34 AM

trjford8    -- 06-11-2014 @ 2:21 PM
  Richard, you can also use the 6 volt solenoid. I've done that and it works just fine.

49fordv8f4    -- 06-11-2014 @ 2:33 PM
  I forgot to mention that the 12V solenoids I listed in my post need to be wired with the battery cable on the passenger side instead of the drivers side like the 6V solenoids. These 12V and the Ford 6V solenoids must have the battery connected to the correct side for the starter button to be able to close the contacts in the solenoid.
Mark

alanwoodieman    -- 06-12-2014 @ 8:34 AM
  the 12 volt solenoid should be a two post design, that said the solenoid needs to have 12volts on one post and the other post will act like a ground thru your starter button--this post is actually used with a start interrupter such as a neutral safety switch on automatic trans and also for the switch on a clutch pedal which requires that the pedal to be pushed in to activate the starter

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=7403