Topic: Distributor Noise

RG/NJ    -- 01-31-2010 @ 8:34 AM
  I put a rebuilt distributor with new inner plates on my 40. When running i occasionally hear a ticking sound from the distributor. Could the contacts on the rotor be touching the contacts on the plates?

TomO    -- 01-31-2010 @ 10:03 AM
  Yes. The reproduction inner caps have contacts that are longer than the original Ford. Remove the inner caps and look for scoring on the contacts. If there is scoring, remove the distributor and carefully examine the rotor for cracks and other damage. Replace the rotor if it is damaged and file the inner cap contacts to provide .015-.025" clearance to the rotor.

Tom

supereal    -- 01-31-2010 @ 11:08 AM
  Check the distributor bushings for excess play, too. A quality rebuild almost always includes new bushings, as well as a new shaft, in many cases. As TomO points out, repro parts often do not fit properly, and must be fitted. If the rotor contacts the plug plates, one or the other will be destroyed. A "ticking" sound can also be produced by excess gap between the rotor and the plates when the spark jumps. Same is true if the plug wires are not correctly fitted with soldered connectors and/or are not seated in the caps.

ford38v8    -- 01-31-2010 @ 2:31 PM
  If the gap is too wide between the rotor and plate, the plate contacts can be soldered to build up. No damage will occur if the rotor clips the solder.

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-03-2010 @ 4:17 PM
  Could the noise be from spark jump, maybe one of the inner car wire came out [ when installing ] a little making the spark jump, also check the metal conduit,
I spray them with water in a windex bottle and check for jumping spark,
also start the engine,at night, turn off the lights and look for jumping spark in the dark,
if the distributer is making noise, repair before driving any distance, it might be self destructing,
it does not take that much to remove,and check it out in your hand
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=716