Topic: 51 3 speed transmission

PeterFord    -- 10-28-2013 @ 6:56 PM
  I have a 1951 F1 pickup with a e speed (shift on the tree) trans. The sync rings are showing a need to be replaced. I am fairly handy and have may tools but have never been inside a trans. A friend is going to remove the trans for me so that I can replace the two synchronizer brass rings.. My question is, am I getting in too deep, or is this something I could do? I have the shop manual, etc and have looked at numerous youtube videos of the procedure. Any advice? Or should I take it to a transmission guy?

Many thanks. Peter

40 Coupe    -- 10-29-2013 @ 7:38 AM
  Mac VanPelt has a book that is very good, available through his web site. before disassembly measure end plays of intermediate gear and cluster to make sure you don't have a big problem there. Disassemble and clean everything when you reassemble you may want to replace end thrust washers on the cluster, bearings, seal (even on the shift housing), Mac has a lot of parts to assist.
New pilot bearing, throwout bearing, inspect clutch and pressure plate. If you need new clutch or pressure plate Fort Wayne Clutch can assist with rebuilding. Many are having problems with new PP & clutches so stay away from new if possible.

51f1    -- 10-29-2013 @ 8:25 AM
  All of the above.

I replaced everything in my '51 F-1 3-speed and don't recall any great difficulty. It's a pretty simplw transmission. Just read the instructions and study the drawings in your factory service manual beginning on page 142. I recommend also replacing all of the bearings and seals and thrust washers and replacing anything else that appears to be worn. By the time you replace just the syncronizer, you will have practically taken it all apart anyway.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 10-29-13 @ 8:28 AM

supereal    -- 10-29-2013 @ 3:25 PM
  When taking on a job for the first time, take lots of photos with a digital camera. If your memory has as many holes in it as mine, you will be grateful for the pics as reference.

This message was edited by supereal on 10-29-13 @ 3:25 PM

51f1    -- 11-09-2013 @ 1:47 PM
  Supereal gives excellent advice. I also did that.

Richard

Lawson Cox    -- 11-29-2013 @ 6:03 PM
  Do I understand you to say you are going to try and machine the brass synchronizer rings? Forget it, buy some nos ones from Mac Van Pelt.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=6669