Topic: 46 cranks but won't start

st1963    -- 09-02-2013 @ 5:19 PM
  I've run into an interesting problem with my 46 1/2 ton pickup. It's a daily driver, and it's always started right up. Over the last two weeks or so, when I tried starting it in the morning it would crank but not start. If I cranked it five or six times and then let it sit for a couple of hours before trying again, it would suddenly fire right up. Now it won't even do that. I've checked all the wires to the plugs, distributor, solenoid, starter etc and all the connections are good. I've checked the plug gaps and point gaps. I've pulled off the air cleaner and moved the throttle by hand, and it's pumping fuel.(though I notice a bit dribbling down the back of the carb when I work the linkage..I figured that was from working the throttle so many times) I'm probably overlooking something really simple, but just can't see it yet...before I go about replacing starting components, I figure some of the old hands may be able to give me some advice!

fla48    -- 09-02-2013 @ 6:13 PM
  Have you checked to see if the plugs are generating spark when you crank the engine. Sounds like a spark issue. May be a condenser or coil. I would check that first.

st1963    -- 09-02-2013 @ 8:45 PM
  Haven't checked spark yet, I'll get on that first thing tomorrow. Can't imagine why it would sometimes work a few hours after cranking can you? I should add that it's the stock setup, 6 volt, original type carb rebuilt about 5 years ago.

supereal    -- 09-02-2013 @ 9:00 PM
  Check to see that there is voltage at the coil when the ignition is turned on. If not, check both end of the ballast resistor on the inside of the firewall. If you don't have voltage at either end of the resistor, check the ignition switch. If all check out, it is likely that the condenser has failed, or one set of the points in the distributor is either not making contact, or is stuck together. Your description tells us you have plenty of fuel. Looking at connections usually won't tell you much unless they are loose or dirty. Everything I've listed above can produce your problem, including a dying coil that recovers after a long cooling period. A cheap voltmeter is a good diagnostic tool.

st1963    -- 09-03-2013 @ 5:37 AM
  Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=6490