Topic: voltage regulator and mysterious box

trixietruck    -- 08-18-2013 @ 1:47 PM
  I bought a 1937 Ford Pickup with a 59AB flathead in it. I believe that the voltage regulator and the mysterious little box came with the motor as I don't see a regulator in the 37 schematics I've looked at so far. Plus, on some really nice photos of restorations that claim to have the engine compartment as it was when new, I don't see either on the firewall. So, I've include a pic here, would appreciate any help in identifying it. As of right now, here's what I know. There are a total of four wires connected to the VR (3 on bottom, 1 on top). Two from the bottom connect to this mysterious box (one on a tab stamped with GEN, the other on a tab stamped with BAT). The other bottom wire, the thickest, goes through the firewall and is not connected to anything. The top wire is coiled up with the mysterious box hanging down, not connected to anything. This VR looks similar to a VR listed on MACS for early fourties fords, but there is a cover hiding the innerds in the picture.

supereal    -- 08-18-2013 @ 6:42 PM
  It appears that someone installed a later two brush generation in your '37 truck. The original generator would be three brush type with a cutout. With a two brush type, there is no need for a "mysterious box". If so, I can post a correct wiring diagram if you can identify the generator type. This is not an unusual change, but your photo shows it was not professionally done.

This message was edited by supereal on 8-18-13 @ 6:43 PM

trixietruck    -- 08-19-2013 @ 8:44 PM
  Thanks, I appreciate any info I can get. I'll reply with pics soon. Here is what I know so far. The generator that was on the engine has two wires coming out of the top and has the fan in the high position. I have four other generators of what appears to be three different types. Not all have the two wires, which I assume is for the cutout. So this definitely leaves me confused as the installed generator has the two wire cutout, and the voltage regulator I thought eliminated the need for a cutout, and yet I wonder if that mystery box is needed, or if it is a cutout. Anyhow, I will get some pics to you sometime this week.
Mike

Trixie the truck will be revived!

alanwoodieman    -- 08-23-2013 @ 5:29 PM
  look on the voltage regulator--one wire is the field, will be same on generator, one is armature-the end post on the generator is this wire the other wire on the gen is a ground wire. the last wire on the voltage regulator is the battery wire which serves to charge the battery!

supereal    -- 08-23-2013 @ 9:26 PM
  If it has two wires coming out of the top of the generator, it is a three brush type. The two brush generators have the terminals on the back plate. Over the years, there have been a number of "regulators" sold for the three brush kinds, but most are just solid state units to replace the original relay using Zener diodes to control output. A true regulator requires three terminals, field, armature, and battery, plus a good ground between the body and the regulator body. The relays in the actual regulator control output by "buzzing" two relays, with the remaining relay serving the same function as the cutout on top of the three brush type.

TomO    -- 08-24-2013 @ 8:25 AM
  The regulator is for the 2 brush generator. The 3 brush generator is stock for your truck and uses a 3 brush generator.

Fun Projects has been making voltage regulators for 3 brush generators for years. It looks just like the original cutout and you can use the stock wiring harness.

http://www.funprojects.com/search.cfm?querystr=1937&querytype=year

Tom

trixietruck    -- 08-27-2013 @ 6:18 PM
  Ok, good input from you all, I appreciate it. I thought I would post the pics I said I would. So, here they are. A question, which I know is kind of silly, which of the generators I am posting pictures of are the best to use. Remember, this is a 59ab, not sure sure what year, just know that it is not from the 37 pickup originally.

trixietruck    -- 08-27-2013 @ 6:19 PM
  Guess I can only post one pic at a time

trixietruck    -- 08-27-2013 @ 6:21 PM
  Also, I am sticking with the 6 volt positive ground for now. This is the gen that came on the flatty.

TomO    -- 09-01-2013 @ 10:02 AM
  I can't tell you which is best to use, because it depends on your preferences. Both style generators will work, you just have to make some modification in order to use the 2 brush generators.

The first 2 photos are for generators from the 42-48 era and require a voltage regulator.

Picture 3 is a 3 brush generator and with a cutout, the charging rate is controlled by the 3rd brush or the regulator from Fun Projects.

The 2 brush regulators require that you make your own wiring harness or adapt a 39 wiring harness to your truck. You would also have to change the pulley in order to have a place to mount the fan.

Tom

trixietruck    -- 09-01-2013 @ 10:26 AM
  TomO and Supereal, thanks for the info. I think I will try to make the three brush gen work. I like the regulator being in the cutout housing, and not on the firewall.
I also like that I'm having the radiator completely rebuilt by Seattle Radiator Works, and they are re-using the top tank, which has the cutaway for the gen mounted fan blade. I cannot wait to post a pick of this radiator when done. All four ports will match the 59ab ports now, and I'll have a modern pressure system that fits in that cool stainless/chrome (don't know which yet) radiator cap cover.

This will also be good for the wiring harness I had already purchased from MACS! I really like the look of their wiring harnesses. Would still like to see a wiring diagram superreal.

trixietruck    -- 09-01-2013 @ 10:27 AM
  I may have forgotten, but thanks to everyone who replied, and to anyone who is a member of this board. It's a pretty cool thing!

TomO    -- 09-02-2013 @ 7:07 AM
  Here is a link to a wiring diagram for the car. The truck wiring should be similar.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_drawings_electrical.htm

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=6426