Topic: 1951 F 2 starter won't mount to bell housing

joe shell    -- 08-13-2013 @ 1:05 PM
  A friend of mine is building a nice 1951 F 2. The engine has been rebuilt and has been installed along with the transmission in the truck. He called me about the starter, which he said will not mount to the bell housing. It was as if the fly wheel was too large. I have a 36 cabriolet and don't know too much about flathead trucks. He bought the truck disassembled so we don't know if all the parts he got were truck parts. I thought maybe a truck fly wheel and clutch had a larger diameter than a passenger car and maybe he was using a passenger car bell housing which would not work with the larger fly wheel. Is this possible? Will a passenger car bell housing bolt up to an engine with a truck flywheel? Could this be the reason the starter will not mount properly? If this is the case I would think the correct truck bell housing will solve the problem. Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

supereal    -- 08-13-2013 @ 2:52 PM
  The same starter was used on all flatheads from 32-53, with the exception of the early Ford-O-Matics, which are different. I suspect you may not actually have a Ford starter, or one for the automatic. The correct starters are shown in the online C&G catalog. www.cgfordparts.com

Stroker    -- 08-13-2013 @ 3:07 PM
  The bell housings for 51 trucks and auto's have the same dimensions, and the only variations
are cast vs stamped steel. Like Super, I'd suspect the lineage of the starter, but it is possible that an incorrect flywheel is to blame. I don't know if a 337 flywheel will bolt up to a 239 crank but obviously somewhere in the rebuild a mismatch may have occurred.

Stroker    -- 08-13-2013 @ 3:15 PM
  delete duplicate post.

This message was edited by Stroker on 8-13-13 @ 4:13 PM

joe shell    -- 08-14-2013 @ 5:31 AM
  Thanks guys. I passed the info on. Appreciate your help.

trjford8    -- 08-14-2013 @ 7:53 PM
  Those starters don't just go straight in. you have to tip them to the side to get them in and out due to the size of the bendix spring..

alanwoodieman    -- 08-15-2013 @ 11:18 AM
  do you know if he has one of the new rubber padded bendix or an original metal spring, I have a 51 engine in my 41 truck and had to grind a little clearance inside the bell housing to allow the "new" type bendix to go in the hole

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=6404