Topic: The "F" in F1

Stroker    -- 08-02-2013 @ 3:54 PM
  This has been a topic of much debate, and I'd like to hear from our Forum members, as the Forum represents "quality".

Question: What does the "F" stand for? I always assumed it was for "Ford", but many seem to disagree. Some say "Fleetline" (since the E used on van's stands for Econoline), others have said it stands for the name of the production line, and even more bizarre is the claim that it stands for "Farm", which would upset those of us native Westerner's who believe "Farm" is a verb, not a noun. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

ford38v8    -- 08-02-2013 @ 6:01 PM
  Dan, actually, those are all good guesses, but unfortunately, all wrong. The truth of the matter is, the Foreman of the swing shift assembly line at Ford's Rouge plant won the naming rights for the new truck in a game of 5 Card Draw. Fred drew three cards, didn't improve, but his Aces won the day.

Alan

supereal    -- 08-02-2013 @ 6:34 PM
  Gee, guys. I always though it was related to the old joke that FORD meant " fix or repair daily".

alanwoodieman    -- 08-03-2013 @ 5:02 PM
  your sure it is not "found on road dead"

carcrazy    -- 08-03-2013 @ 5:20 PM
  Real Ford guys know that FORD stands for First On Race Day!

Stroker    -- 08-04-2013 @ 3:25 PM
  Come On Guys! I wasn't asking for an explanation of the acronymn F.O.R.D.; I just wanted an authoritative justification for my contention that the "F" in F-1, or F-150 etc. stands simply for Ford. I have a lot riding on this, as my mid western brother in law insists that it stands for Farm, and I simply can't deal with that, given that I grew up on a Ranch.

ford38v8    -- 08-04-2013 @ 6:20 PM
  OK Dan, we'd hoped you had a sense of humor about such a question as you posed, but if you're gonna just be an old sourpuss, we'll get serious too.

The F1 Ford Truck was introduced on January 16, 1948, and due to it's new chassis, new cab, and new engine, it had a lot of midwestern farmers believing it was built for them exclusively, as the name F1 implies, short for Farmer 1.

The truth is, though, the F1 was part of the Bonus Built Truck line, an all new line of Ford Trucks to include a 2 1/2 ton and 3 ton truck for the first time, and the re-designated capacities of several of the smaller trucks.
After skipping a couple years, the 3/4 ton returned to the lineup as the F2.
The Tonner became the F3 with a downgraded rating of 3/4 ton "Heavy Duty".
The F4 was rated 1 Ton, and was built on a 134" chassis.
The F5 and F6 were respectively 1 1/2 Ton and 2 Ton trucks.
And, Ford finally entered the Heavy Truck market with the all new F7 and F8 trucks, both sporting the 337" flathead Lincoln engine tuned for high torque truck needs.

The Bonus Built Ford Trucks needed a simple means of identification to set them apart from each other, from the needs of a farmer to the needs of a highway transport trucker. While a farmer may consider the majority of labor in this world involved the use of an F1, and may never have seen an F7 or F8, they were all Ford Bonus Built trucks, simply designated F1 through F8

You might ask your brother in law how many 3 Ton Trucks would normally be found in the average Midwestern barnyard? You might also ask him to answer you with a grin on his face, as you must not have seen the dry humor of his claim on the F1 Ford Truck!

Alan

Oh, yes, as an afterthought, Ford was engaged in a fierce competition for the Tractor market with Farmall. Farmall's F Series Tractors were a thorn in old Henry's side until replaced by the alphabet series in 1939. Your brother in law may have confused the two very different F Series and their origins.

What did you win?
And by the way, you owe me a drink!

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 8-4-13 @ 7:10 PM

Stroker    -- 08-05-2013 @ 6:51 AM
  Alan: That was very good, and I hope to join you in imbibing your reward before I croak.
That said, I had actually used the argument: "how many farms would have had an F8?" to no
avail. Today here in the Midwest, most farms have at least one 18-wheeler to haul stored grain to market. So, while that certainly wasn't true in 1948, it would be a hard argument to make today. I will forward your well written response to him, and email you his response. Thanks!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=6369