Topic: Positive Camber

bbook    -- 07-27-2013 @ 8:59 PM
  My '36 1.5 ton has a visible "positive camber" in that the tops of the tires point out more than it would appear they should. Does anyone know the spec for that? Is there a way to change it, short of bending the axle?

1932BB    -- 07-28-2013 @ 8:53 AM
  The 1932 to 1936 Engine & Chassis Repair Manual has a section on page 44 "Effect of Oversized Tires on Camber Adustment" and "Figure 75" on page 43 that is informative. The original tire size on big trucks was 6.00x20. If your truck has larger tires it may accentuate the look of positive camber.

bbook    -- 07-28-2013 @ 2:03 PM
  I just put new 6.50-20 tires on it, replacing 7.00s. I would have to say it looks more pronounced with the smaller tires.

Stroker    -- 07-28-2013 @ 3:13 PM
  Early Ford trucks do in fact, have quite a bit of positive camber. The logic was that the highly crowned roads of the day require quite a bit of camber to prevent the truck from wandering off of the crown. The crown was designed to carry water off the surface. Today, most modern pavement is less crowned. If you look at a turn of the century buggy, you will note quite a bit of positive camber on both the front and rear axles. The old wagon makers referred to this as "gather" (pronounced "gay-ther". Unless you are experiencing abnormal tire wear such as: (the inside tread wearing down quickly), I wouldn't worry about it, as it is the nature of the beast.
Yes, the only way to change camber on any straight-axle vehicle is to bend the axle. Ford made a series of hydraulic shop tools to do the job, but any heavy-truck service shop would be able to accomplish the task. See if you can find the original spec's for your truck, and proceed accordingly.

Stroker    -- 07-28-2013 @ 3:19 PM
  eliminated double-post

This message was edited by Stroker on 7-28-13 @ 3:20 PM

Stroker    -- 07-28-2013 @ 3:22 PM
  2nd elimination of "triple-post".

This message was edited by Stroker on 7-28-13 @ 4:58 PM

bbook    -- 07-28-2013 @ 8:15 PM
  A friend looked up the spec for me, which is .25 to 1.0 degree of positive camber. I will try to measure it and see if any axle bending is warranted. The tires are too new to see any wear. In the end, I am just trying to see if I can improve the handling. I acquired new king pins and bushings, but really haven't examined the old ones for wear. I will do that and report back.

Thanks to all who responded.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=6349