Topic: 36 truck vibration

coreyfatboy    -- 06-03-2013 @ 4:15 AM
  Hi all, new member. I inherited a 36 truck from my grandpa and I have been driving it a little farther each time to see how reliable it is. I have been getting a light vibration or howl from somewhere. It feels like something is dry. I checked tranny and rearend fluid and they are good. The one thing I have noticed is that if I push in clutch while coasting it goes away. Any suggestions?

supereal    -- 06-03-2013 @ 6:41 AM
  That is one sweet truck! As the noise goes away when you push the clutch, which releases strain on the driveline, you may have a failing u-joint if the noise increases with speed. You can lube it by pumping grease into the fitting on the joint cover. If it goes away when the transmission is in neutral with the clutch engaged, that will tell you if the input bearing is probably OK. The transmission in your truck is probably noisy, anyway, as most were when new. Welcome to the Club!

This message was edited by supereal on 6-3-13 @ 6:50 AM

39 Ken    -- 06-04-2013 @ 2:36 AM
  Very nice looking pickup.
Along with Supereals good advice,
I would add that you should use
low temp grease. Don't use a high temp grease. Of late, I have been using John Deere Cornhead grease
or grease used for Constant Velocity
Joints (CVJ). Both have a low melt
point that becomes semi fluid like
when in use which insures good lubrication of the u-joint. These greases are similar to what Ford used back in the day. I would use a minimum of one tube and then
take the truck for a ride.

coreyfatboy    -- 06-09-2013 @ 7:37 PM
  So I got the truck up on the lift and there was a big glob of stuff hanging down from that dome that encases the u joint so I'm assuming that there is a seal in there that has come out or something so there is no sense in pumping it full of grease. Is this a hard job to fix?

supereal    -- 06-09-2013 @ 8:02 PM
  There is a set of cork seals around the u-joint housing. If the housing was overfilled, it isn't unusual for it to leak lots of grease.

coreyfatboy    -- 06-10-2013 @ 6:26 AM
  That cork gasket must be what is hanging out of the bottom of that bell. How do you get into there to replace that?

supereal    -- 06-10-2013 @ 3:28 PM
  Just unbolt the cover and split the halves. The cork gaskets are square, and fit the groove in the cover. We use plenty of gasket cement to secure them. Get a new gasket for the face of the cover if it wasn't included with the seals.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=6114