Topic: Brakes

39FORDPU    -- 06-01-2013 @ 4:33 PM
  I took my 39 pick up out for the first time and the brake pedal almost went to the floor. I pumped it up, It got better but faded, I checked the fluid and it was down, I topped it off and went for a ride. I had to pump it up at every stop. I checked it when I got home and it was still to the top. Could I have air in the lines. If I have to replace the wheel cylinders, is there a place I can buy USA ones that fit. Thank You.

supereal    -- 06-02-2013 @ 6:38 AM
  If you can pump the brake pedal enough to get a "hard" pedal, it is likely that the master cylinder is the problem. There is a "residual valve" in the master that retains a slight pressure in the brake system to eliminate having to pump each time the brakes are used. Before you replace it, pull all brake drums and inspect for leaking wheel cylinders, then do a full brake adjust on all wheels. If you haven't replaced the fluid in the system for a very long time, it is likely contaminated with moisture which will result in stuck wheel cylinder pistons, if it hasn't already. We buy our wheel cylinders at the local NAPA store. Usually, they are foreign made, but have been of good quality. Very few old car parts are US made. Brakes are probably the most neglected part of most cars. If they work, little attention is paid to this most vital part of the vehicle.

39FORDPU    -- 06-02-2013 @ 12:58 PM
  Thank You for your answer, I hate to admit it but I've owned the truck for 30years and never did anything to the brakes, they always worked well. It's about time I gave it a complete brake job. Thank You again.

supereal    -- 06-02-2013 @ 5:20 PM
  Happy to help. After that many years, I suggest you plan to replace all wheel cylinders, as well as the master. Aside from the probability that some of the pistons are stuck or sticking, the rubber cups are probably mushy. While you are at it, replace the three rubber hoses on the system. Swapping out the brake shoes and linings is also a good investment. Another tip: install all new return springs while the drums are off. If the inner surface of the drums is scored, have a good shop turn them just enough to provide a flat surface, but not more than .060, if possible. Otherwise, you will need to fit the linings to the drums. Brake parts are still reasonably priced in most places, and there is no better investment than good, reliable brakes.

This message was edited by supereal on 6-2-13 @ 5:22 PM

39FORDPU    -- 06-03-2013 @ 3:08 PM
  I went on NAPA'S website and they only went back to 1942, Do you know what years will interchange and do you think they will have brake hoses. I have read your answers to many questions and learned a lot from you and others, did you ever think about writing a trouble shooting book? Thank You very much.

supereal    -- 06-03-2013 @ 3:22 PM
  Try C&G. We buy lots of good stuff there. Don't trust the NAPA website. Go to the store. I just bought half a dozen 6 volt starter solenoids from them at our local NAPA. They told me they didn't have them, and I asked that they try harder. They found them for me by looking them up on their in house computer system. Between three of their stores, they found all of them, and my project is done and working.. As for a book, no one else has asked. Most of what I suggest is common practice among us old timers. I am flattered that you find it helpful.

TomO    -- 06-03-2013 @ 5:39 PM
  The 39-48 master cylinders will interchange. The Raybestos P/N is MC1050.

Wagner uses a similar P/N and re-manufactures the master cylinder in Texas.

Be sure to follow the instructions for bench bleeding the master cylinder before installing it. If it will not bench bleed successfully, return it for a new one.

The rear hose is Dorman P/N H4900 and the front hoses are H7600. NAPA should be able to cross reference those P/Ns.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-3-13 @ 5:44 PM

woodiewagon46    -- 06-04-2013 @ 11:02 AM
  Joblot Automotive has '39 car and pickup master cylinders and wheel cylinders. You can reach them at 800-221-0172, www.joblotauto.com. Many times they have NOS parts, I needed an input shaft for a '32 trans and they had a NOS in a ford box!

39FORDPU    -- 06-04-2013 @ 3:05 PM
  Thanks again to everyone. I'll check out all the suggestions.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=6108