Topic: Fuel Leak

51f1    -- 05-30-2013 @ 11:42 AM
  I have a '51 F-1 that I finished restoring about 4-years ago. The gas tank on this truck is in the cab, another better idea from Ford. When the tank is full, it leaks gasoline from where the sending unit attaches to the top of the tank. I have removed and replaced the unit twice. The first time I cleaned the mating surfaces and used Permatex No. 3 as I had done when I restored the truck. The flanges looked good. The gasket was almost new. It still leaked. The second time I replaced the gasket with a new one and used another Permatex product which claimed to be fuel resistant, but it still leaks worse than ever when the tank is full. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this leak?

Richard

supereal    -- 05-30-2013 @ 12:19 PM
  It doesn't sound like your sender flange is at fault after all you have done. I suspect one or more pinhole leaks high on the tank, or on the sender,itself. Gasoline has such a low surface tension it can leak out of hole almost too small to see. Once the lining of the tank is breached, rustthrough happens very quickly, particularly when alcohol is present. We recommend plastic tanks now. I'd check to see if there is one for your truck. It is bad enough when tank leaks outside, but having a leak inside the cab is very dangerous, as I'm sure you already know.

carcrazy    -- 05-30-2013 @ 12:37 PM
  If you are sure the fuel is leaking at the interface between the sender unit and the tank, one sure way to seal that joint is with epoxy. I used that method on a kit car and had a leak-free tank for over 20 years - as long as I owned the car.

alanwoodieman    -- 05-30-2013 @ 8:13 PM
  fixed a tank leaking at the top with epoxy also--found out some one had used too long screws on the sending unit and they had litterly pulled the flange off the tank-not eought to fall off but just leaked when full

51f1    -- 06-01-2013 @ 2:40 PM
  Thanks. I'll check the screw length. The plating inside the tank is in excellent condition. Epoxy seems extreme, but at this point, I'll try anything.

The tank is in excellent condition inside. There are no pin-hole leaks. The fuel is definitely getting through the tank at the sending unit connection.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=6102