Topic: 51 f1 drag link tension

37coop    -- 05-09-2013 @ 2:24 PM
  h*llo ...further to my recent post ...I have had a parcel containing brake ,steering and king pins ,its all straight forward except the drag link tension,the end screws I assume are used to wind in the cups onto the ball ,I m not sure how tight it needs to be ,hope you can help thanks ...jim.

trjford8    -- 05-09-2013 @ 7:54 PM
  I generally cinch them up until there is no play with the pitman arm ball and the draglink. I then go one to two more turns on the end screw. They are spring loaded, so the spring has have some movement

51f1    -- 05-10-2013 @ 11:48 AM
  The proper way to adjust the drag link ends is as follows: After installing the ball seats, spring and spring seat in the end of the drag link, install the plug and screw it up tight, fully compressing the spring. Back the plug off to the cotter pin hole and install the cotter pin. Incidentally, the end of the drag link that has the hole for the ball approximately 1-1/2" from the end is the front of the drag link. Refer to the drawing I sent you. The correct order for installing the internal parts for the outer joint (front) is ball seat (2 parts-(3320)-one on each side of the ball), spring (3327), spring (ball) seat (3326) and plug (3328). The back end parts go in this order: spring (ball) seat (3326), spring (3327), ball seat (2 parts-3320) and plug (3323).

Richard

37coop    -- 05-10-2013 @ 1:57 PM
  thanks guys ...the steering is in a terrible state ,possibly never seen new grease,the truck has been used with rear brakes only ,no juice at all in the front cylinders and the cylinder pistons are solid and the holes through the front hoses ...well there are no holes, they are solid ....I think I,v bought another project ,one of the pitfalls of buying on ebay by description only , he told me the good bits but forgot to mention the rest ,and 6000 miles away , oh well , onwards and upwards , thanks again jim.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=6017