Topic: 51 f1 steering

37coop    -- 05-01-2013 @ 6:11 AM
  good morning ...further to my (many) posts on the general ford site I got up early this morning and started to take apart the brakes and steering on the truck ,it all seems straight forward as I,v done the same on my 1940 and 39 coupe but the difference is I cant work out how the drag link on the steering works as its different to the cars ....I,m getting together an order for macs along with the brakes and kingpin set I,v ordered the 2 end steering joints but I don't know what to do about ordering to repair the drag link...they have in their on line catalogue a drag link sleeve and a drag link end repair kit would that do the job? I cant really see how it works and the 49-52 manual I have ordered is not in stock at the moment so the question I,m asking is do I order the 2 parts I mentioned? I don't know if the existing part is faulty or not ,the 2 end knuckles I took off to replace seemed in decent order . thanks for your help , regards jim.(from the u.k )

TomO    -- 05-01-2013 @ 6:58 AM
  The way that I determine which parts are worn in the front end is to jack up one front wheel and try to turn it with the steering wheel held so it cannot move.

There should be no movement when you do this. Any movement indicates worn parts. Watch carefully when this test is performed and you will be able to see if it is the tie rod end, drag link end or the steering box that is allowing the movement.

Tom

37coop    -- 05-01-2013 @ 1:35 PM
  thanks tom,i,m going to replace the whole of the steering joints anyway ,its just that I was expecting the system to be the same as my cars ,I,v not had dealings with a drag link before ,I,ll order a repair kit for it anyway , thanks again tom, jim.

TomO    -- 05-02-2013 @ 7:39 AM
  Just a note of caution, some of the replacement parts available today are of poor quality, so replacing good parts with newer parts can create problems. I always like to make sure that I am fixing the problem and not creating more problems by installing unneeded parts.

Tom

51f1    -- 05-03-2013 @ 11:28 AM
  I have attached a drawing. The steering works as follows. As the steering shaft is turned, the worm gear in the steering box moves the shaft that comes out of the side of the steering box. The steering arm (3590) attached to that shaft pushes or pulls the drag link (3305) which moves the spindle arm (3131) which is attached to the left-side spindle. The tie rod (3283) attaches the left-side spindle arm to the right side spindle arm (3130).

Parts that may need replacing in the steering mechanism include the drag link ends, 2 kits, the tie rod ends, 2 each, and the steering arm. You may also need to replace the king pins and bushings and the left spindle arm ball, 3284. Note that on the drawing furnished, the ball on the spindle arm (3284) is replaceable by unbolting it from the spindle arm. The ball on an F-1 is fixed to the spindle arm by swaging the end where the threaded portion would be and must be drilled out in order to use a bolt-on ball. You also may need to rebuild the steering box.

Drawing:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/rcrispd/Scan0004_zpsdd785eae.jpg

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 5-4-13 @ 4:56 PM

37coop    -- 05-04-2013 @ 2:35 PM
  thanks guys ...I have ordered from macs new tie rod ends and a complete new drag link unit ,the king pin set is out of stock and as I,m going to the Tahoe event I,m hoping to get one there ,I,m hoping steering box is o.k,i am renewing all the brake cylinders and hoses and master cylinder,they are on their way with the steering stuff ,the shoes and drums are good ,I have taken on board what you have said tom ,the truck has done 80000 miles and the front end looks uncared for so hopefully new parts will do the trick. thanks for the drawing Richard,i,m waiting for the out of stock49-52 book to arrive sometime I,m sure it will be a help,the drawing has shown me what I wanted to know.
20 years ago I imported a 19501/2 ton f.1 from florida to here in the u.k and used and enjoyed it for 4 years before I sold it ,fortunately it was a strong sound truck that needed nothing so I didn't need to work on it so I learned nothing about these vehicles ...I think I might learn a bit with this one , thanks again , jim.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=5986