Topic: Gas Tank Sending Unit

RPB43    -- 04-10-2013 @ 4:35 PM
  I am trying to install a new gas tank sending unit in my
1950 f-1 With the hot wire and ground wire attached the
gas gauge works perfect when the sending unit is out the tank.but when I mount it in the tank the gauge will
not work.any help would be appreciated

carcrazy    -- 04-10-2013 @ 5:06 PM
  Does the float on the new sending unit actually float? I once had a sending unit with a float which had a very small leak that would allow the sending unit to show empty no matter how much fuel was in the tank.

RPB43    -- 04-10-2013 @ 5:27 PM
  I CHECKED THE FLOAT.IT LOOKS GOOD.IT'S A STRAFOAM TYPE
MATERIAL

supereal    -- 04-10-2013 @ 8:56 PM
  Be sure the flange of the sender is well grounded. Almost always, it takes a separate wire from one of the flange mounting screws to a good ground on the frame. Look into the tank with a flashlight to see if there is interference with a baffle that hots the float. You may have to redrill the flange mounting holes to turn the send a bit to clear any obstacles so the float arm has a full swing. Every aftermarket sender I've installed needs lots of adjusting of the arm to make it read correctly. It will need to be bent to fit, and may need to be lengthened or shortened to fit the tank. Measure the tank from the top to the bottom with a ruler thru the sender hole, then set the float stroke to match.

This message was edited by supereal on 4-11-13 @ 10:33 AM

RPB43    -- 04-11-2013 @ 3:15 AM
  O.K. THANK-YOU FOR THAT INFORMATION.I WILL CHECK THAT OUT TODAY.GOT TO BE SOMETHING CRAZY.EVERYTHING WORKS OUTSIDE THE TANK.

TomO    -- 04-11-2013 @ 7:46 AM
  RPB43,

It sounds like you have an aftermarket sending unit.

First, I would replace the Styrofoam float with a brass one. Styrofoam will turn into a gooey mess when it come in contact with gasoline and will sink to the bottom.

Then make sure that you have a good ground on the tank and the sending unit.

Tom

RPB43    -- 04-12-2013 @ 5:16 AM
  IT IS A AFTER MARKET SENDING UNIT.HOOKED UP OUTSIDE THE TANK I HAVE 6 VOLTS ON THE HOT WIRE.THEN YOU CHECK IT WITH THE OHM METER YOU GET THE CORRECT READING
WHEN YOU MOVE THE FLOAT ARM FROM EMPTY TO FULL.DROP IT IN THE TANK EVEN WITHOUT THE GASKET IN PLACE NOTHING WORKS.IHAVE GOOD CLEAN GROUNDS.TAKE THAT ONE OUT PUT THE OLD ORIGINAL ONE BACK IN.IT WORKS.THE REASON ITS BEING REPLACED IS WHEN YOU FILL THE TANK IT ONLY SHOWS A LITTLE OVER A HALF.i TALKED TO THE CO. I BOUGHT THE
SENDINGN UNIT FROM THEY SAID THEY WOULD REPLACE IT.THEY SAID THEY HAD NOT HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM.IT JUST BUGS ME IT WORKS PERFECT OUTSIDE THE TANK BUT
DOES. NOTHING INSIDE.THANK-YOU TO THE ONES THAT SHARED THEIR IDEAS ON THIS PROBLEM.

TomO    -- 04-12-2013 @ 7:50 AM
  If your 'original' unit is an aftermarket unit with the variable resister, you may be able to bend the arm to get a full reading and an empty reading.

If it is a Ford unit, it will have the P/N on the rim. These can usually be made to work by prying off the top cover and spraying the contact points with tuner cleaner, available from Radio Shack, and operating the arm several times.

If you do this, be careful to not break the wire to the bi-metal arm. Spraying the cleaner will not break it but it can be broken with very little pressure from you hand or a tool.

If you have an ohm meter, you can check for close to 0 ohms in all positions of the arm. Connect your ohm meter between the screw connection on the top cover and the flange of the unit. 0 ohms is the normal reading of a good unit. Any reading less than 10 ohms means the unit will work.

Tom

RPB43    -- 04-12-2013 @ 8:39 AM
  O.K THANK-YOU FOR THAT INFORMATION.I WILL GIVE IT A TRY ON THE OLD ONE.IT IS A FORD ORIGINAL.

supereal    -- 04-12-2013 @ 1:27 PM
  If you have the original King-Seeley sender, it has a heating element that surrounds the bimetal contact arm. If the element is open, it is unlikely the gauge will register. If it is working, the gauge will take 10-15 seconds to move the needle. This is because the sender arm actually vibrates to produce the ground necessary to activate the gauge. Aftermarket senders are just a variable rsistor that moves the needle as the arm is moved. Your earlier post said the gauge will move if the wire to the dash is grounded. Just be sure that the wire has the full battery voltage on it before it is grounded so the heater element is OK.

This message was edited by supereal on 4-12-13 @ 1:28 PM

42oink    -- 04-29-2013 @ 10:22 AM
  Here's my two cents! If the tank has the strap or rubber between the tank and the frame at the mounts, and the bolts are in that nice shiny frame paint, you may not have a good ground to the chassis. In most things electronic, grounds can cause the biggest headaches. Try running a test wire from the sending unit, all hooked up, and a good clean part of the chassis and see what happens. Good luck.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=5922