Topic: Turn signals for 37 stake pickup

37V8    -- 03-18-2013 @ 3:24 PM
  Rear turn signals are available, truck (112"wb) came with one originally. I have seen a reference to using fog lights as turn signals, which would be cool, but so far, I can only find fog lights at C&G, and only in 12 volt.

I'm going to add super's 3rd brake light (or J &L) in the rear, but I need some help up front. Is there anything else out there that would offer some visibility and still be appropriate? The truck is being restored as original, other than these exceptions. And seat belts... Bryan

This message was edited by 37V8 on 3-19-13 @ 8:44 AM

alanwoodieman    -- 03-19-2013 @ 8:18 AM
  I looked around and found a set of period correct Guide lights with arrow glass lens-look very good on my 41 truck. I have seen small almost square lights with amber lens used for this also, painted black they will be hardly noticed. That is what I was going to use before I found the arrow lights

trjford8    -- 03-20-2013 @ 8:25 AM
  Check e-Bay for fog lights or your nearest swap meet. Lots of choices on e-Bay and at swap meets. A couple of years ago I found a set of BLC fog lamps still in the box for $10 at a swap meet. They did not have the brackets , but I found a set of brackets later at the same swap meet for $10. They were 6 volt and I used them for turn signals.

supereal    -- 03-20-2013 @ 11:00 AM
  If you use the Brakeflasher third stoplight bar, you can also wire it to be used as turn signals. A source for lights is a good motorcycle shop. They usually have an assortment of smaller, bright lamps that may be more visible than fog lights, which were seldom seen on trucks.

37V8    -- 03-20-2013 @ 3:16 PM
  Thanks for your suggestions. Good ideas. The resto shop thought since there would be turn signals/brake lights on both sides in the rear, that would be good enough. But, I've seen the 3rd brakelights on cars in Auburn, IN a couple years ago, and was impressed with how much brighter they were than the originals. When the brakes came on, those lights really went into action. They should be hard to miss seeing. I hope...

I'll do some more research on your suggestions for front turn signals. The shop had suggested a small rectangular turn signal that sounds similar to what Super suggested.

wmsteed    -- 03-22-2013 @ 8:49 AM
  Guide made a parking light assembly during the mid to late '30's that mounted to the top of the headlight pod..
As I recall they are called 1648-C.. These lights have become very popular with the Rat Rod group, therefore they are available from the aftermarket supplies, for a lot less than the original Guide lights.
Ford did not adopt this style of light to their trucks, just about all of the other truck manufactures did. Reo and Mack trucks used these lights up through the late '40's.
A company named "Arrow" also made accessory park/marker lights that mounted on top of the head-light pod.. The Arrow lights are very very small and nice looking..
Look on eBay under vintage truck lighting..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 3-22-13 @ 9:11 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=5838