Topic: Cigarette lighter

49fordv8f4    -- 02-13-2013 @ 3:50 PM
  Where does the cigarette lighter mount on the dash of a '49 F4 truck? Is it in a bracket on the bottom edge of the dash simular to the heater controls? Thanks for the help. Mark

Stroker    -- 02-13-2013 @ 4:09 PM
  I believe it is normally placed in your right front pocket. The Zippo brand would be
correct for the period.

ford38v8    -- 02-13-2013 @ 5:41 PM
  I agree. Cig between fingers of left hand, zippo in the right.

Alan

51f1    -- 02-14-2013 @ 7:36 AM
  I have a '51 F-1. On that model, the cigarette lighter mounts in the hole centered under the ash tray. I am not sure the earlier models are the same as the design of the dash board changed with the '51 model. However all of the cabs were essentially the same for the '48-'52 models except for the dash changes. Maybe someone with a '49 model can tell you for sure. My lighter hole has a plated snap-in plug in it rather than the lighter.

Richard

bonusbuilt1950    -- 02-14-2013 @ 7:54 AM
  THe lighter was also mounted directly below the ashtray on the 48-50 models. Very ugly accessory in my opinion. I thought about one, but can't drill a hole in my dash.

Barry

50 F-1

Stroker    -- 02-14-2013 @ 9:28 AM
  Mark:

I apologize for the Zippo remark. I didn't realize until now that the trucks ever had electric lighters, as I've driven several "in the day" and the idea just seemed crazy to me. Now I know better.

49fordv8f4    -- 02-14-2013 @ 5:12 PM
  Thanks for the replies.
Stroker, no need to apologise I enjoy the humor .
Barry, I agree, I don't want to drill a hole in my dash either. I guess I may make a bracket like the one my heater controls are mounted in and place it under the dash below the ashtray. I'm not a smoker, but since I'm wiring the truck for 12V I thought I would add the lighter for a phone/GPS charger.
Thanks again, Mark

Stroker    -- 02-14-2013 @ 5:29 PM
  Mark: Given your intended use, why not install it in the glove compartment?

trjford8    -- 02-15-2013 @ 7:34 AM
  O.K. if you want a power supply for a GPS or phone charger they are as close as your local Walmart. In the automotive section you can find a cigarette lighter socket (it comes with a black plastic cover) with a bracket attached for about $5. It will bolt on the bottom side of the dash. I'm sure you will find an existing hole in the bottom that will work to mount the bracket.

51f1    -- 02-15-2013 @ 11:35 AM
  Or just wire it in place and let it hang below the dash board. You can tuck it up behind the dash when you are not using it.

On the later models the hole came from the factory with a plug in it.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=5728