Topic: 1950 f5 clutch

jiw1    -- 12-18-2012 @ 9:50 AM
  howdy,i'v got a 1950 f5 grain truck,does anyone know what size clutch and pressure plat should be in it?this is a v8,the title shows it having a 6cyl so the engine had been changed some time ago. i haven't taken it apart yet so i don't know whats in it.any help would be great,john

Stroker    -- 12-18-2012 @ 10:48 AM
  John: It SHOULD have an 11-inch disk and pressure plate. However, since as you state
the engine has been switched from a 6 to a V8, whoever made the change may not have
used the standard truck clutch, since it requires a bigger hole pattern in the flywheel, and if the engine came out of an automobile.....?

jiw1    -- 12-18-2012 @ 1:17 PM
  stroker,thank you.you hit the nail square on the head,that is my concern.if they did not change the clutch (being a car)that tells me the spline is the same as the truck.now,can i use the same flywheel for the 11" pressure plate,will it have to be redrilled to a larger size or would i have to get a larger size flywheelwith the right bolt pattern? also would a diafram clutch be available for this year and model? thanks again

Stroker    -- 12-18-2012 @ 4:20 PM
  John: I don't know if there are any diaphragm pressure plates currently available. The original would have used a Long or Borg & Beck style with centrifugal weights to assist in
clamping once the engine got to maximum torque, whereas a diaphragm does not have that feature.

There should be no problem in drilling and tapping an auto flywheel to accept an 11-inch pressure plate, provided who ever does it can very accurately do so in respect to the center
of the flywheel, as obviously having a pressure plate not centered would be a serious source of vibration.

There is a firm in Indiana, Fort Wayne Clutch, who I consider the "go-to" place to help you solve your dilemma, once you determine what you have.

Dan

jiw1    -- 12-19-2012 @ 5:40 AM
  good morning dan,thank you for all the important information,i will be taking it apart right after christmas.thank you again and have a very merry christmas,john

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=5531