Topic: 34' BB steering wheel lock & ignition

tbcoons    -- 11-29-2012 @ 10:08 AM
  I have a steering wheel lock with the original key and it works rather hard. Looking for someone who can take the tumbler apart and make it like new. I have exhausted local locksmiths.

Also I have what I think are all the parts for the ignition switch but don't have a clue as to what sequence to assemble the parts to make it work. Wondering if I have all the parts.

This message was edited by tbcoons on 11-29-12 @ 10:08 AM

tbcoons    -- 11-29-2012 @ 10:11 AM
  This is a picture of the lock housing before it was taken apart. I have the chrome post that sticks up the topside to switch it off & on. It has a slot on the bottom and not sure how these parts go together.

CharlieStephens    -- 11-29-2012 @ 12:03 PM
  The best source might be right next door to you. If you add your general location to your post and profile maybe someone can tell you where to go. Lacking anything more specific I would recommend Baxter's Ford Parts, (785) 842-9256.

Charlie Stephens

TomO    -- 11-30-2012 @ 7:48 AM
  Taking a lock cylinder apart and replacing the tumbler pins can be done by any competent locksmith. Unless the pins are worn, they do not need to be replaced, just lubricated with graphite. We have a local locksmith that just loves Ford locks. It may be less expensive to purchase a NOS set of cylinders for the ignition switch and door.

If the key turns in the cylinder, your problem is most likely outside of the cylinder. Graphite lubricant will usually help the stiffness in the steering wheel lock mechanism.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 11-30-12 @ 7:50 AM

tbcoons    -- 12-06-2012 @ 2:07 PM
  I live in the Waldorf, MD area and I have not found any locksmith that wants to look at it. I did contact Vintagelocksmiths.com and apparently due to a misunderstanding he is no longer communicating with me after two messages.

I did figure out the ignition switch and got it together.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=5481