Topic: electric problems with 36 pickup

edserp    -- 11-26-2012 @ 6:00 PM
  just finished restoration..brand new harness and coil,resistor/fuse but having problems ..will turn starter and get spark at the plug but burn up my horn wire and the resistor next to the fuse is smoking..just shows 6.28 volts or so there...don't undestand what is happening and why.

supereal    -- 11-26-2012 @ 6:09 PM
  Do you have circuit diagram? We have found that ,repro harnesses are often wrong. I can post a diagram if you need it.

edserp    -- 11-26-2012 @ 6:37 PM
  yes have circuit diagram from a number of different books and they all seem to agree with how it is wired and matches the one I got with the harness

edserp    -- 11-26-2012 @ 6:53 PM
  so for the resistor has just three wires on it..one that goes to the coil, one to the ign switch and one to the fuel gauge (could it be a problem with the guage? also I don't understand what fried the one wire to the horn (burned the insulation off of the wire) I suspect it is related but can't tell...just seems like something is bad I don't have enough experience to tell what it is...(brake lights seem to work ok.)

supereal    -- 11-27-2012 @ 8:44 AM
  The feed wire to the resistor from the ignition switch is black/red. It connects to the INPUT side of the resistor, as does the black/green wire to the common connection to the oil pressure and gas gauges. The wire from the OUTPUT side of the resistor is red, and goes only to the ignition coil. As for the horn wire, it is connected directly to the battery where the large yellow wire then goes on to the ammeter. This wire goes on to both horns. The other side of the horns use blue/yellow wire, and is joined to the horn button wire at the base of the steering column by a yellow/green wire. The horns require a very high current, and they are activated by the horn button, which provides a ground to the horns. If any of the wires are shorted, they will burn up quickly. There should be a condenser in each horn. If either is shorted, the wires will burn. If the contact points in either horn are stuck or shorted, the wires will burn. Your '36 does not have a horn relay, which was added in '38 to handle the load. If I had a '36, I would add the relay to protect the horn button circuit. My problem with repro wiring harnesses is that they don't always follow the Ford colors, and because they are made to cover several models, often contain unneeded wires that can confuse the installer. I am attaching a copy of the real Ford wiring diagram.

edserp    -- 11-27-2012 @ 4:56 PM
  thank you for the diagram i will reconfirm this weekend and see if I find any errors...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=5469