Topic: F-100 Hood emblem

JOHNB    -- 11-09-2012 @ 6:30 AM
  I have a few things left in my restoration of a 1953 F-100 pickup. I cannot find a source for the placement of the F-100 (with boomerang) emblem on the aft sections of the hood sides.

Also, my engine is NOT running hot, but the temp indicator shows hot, so I suspect the sensors. Is the replacement of these (2) pretty straightforward?

Thanks

JOHNB

supereal    -- 11-09-2012 @ 7:01 AM
  Before you change temp sensors, put a thermometer in the radiator filler to see what the coolant temp actually is. You may find the sensors and gauge are correct. As to replacing sensors, it isn't a big job. They are mounted with pipe threads, and should be installed with clean threads and no tape or sealer so they make good ground contact. Pipe threads are cone shaped and seal as they tighten. Reading hot can often be caused by poor contact between the terminals and the wiring. The gauge reading goes up as the current flow thru the sensor declines.

supereal    -- 11-09-2012 @ 10:03 AM
  John: I looked in my bookshelf for '53 truck hood ornaments, and found the one I have posted. The "boomerang" style must have been rare, as it doesn't appear anywhere except in my '53 shop manual. It should give you enough to approximate the placing.

JOHNB    -- 11-29-2012 @ 6:58 AM
  Thanks for the help

TomO    -- 11-30-2012 @ 8:00 AM
  Try cleaning the threads on the temperature sensors before replacing them. The dual contact sensor is just a switch that opens when the coolant temp is too hot.

If your gauge stays at the hot position with the ignition switch on, try touching the gauge wire to the sensor to ground. The gauge should move towards cold. If not the problem is the gauge.

If the previous test shows the gauge to be good, jumper across the dual contact sending unit and recheck the temperature.

If your gauge reads hot after running the engine, check the temperature of the coolant in the radiator, you may have a stuck thermostat.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=5403