Topic: 1940 4 cylinder truck

Bill C    -- 09-29-2012 @ 4:12 AM
  Just joined the forum but have been a V8 club member since the early 70's. I am looking at a 1940 1/2 ton pickup that is complete and original with a 4 cyl. 9N tractor engine.Starts, runs nicely and the body has a nice old farm patina. I would buy it for an "as is" driver and leave the body alone rust and all. But before I buy I was wondering how practical the 30HP engine with a 4.55 rear end is to drive on the street. I could sometime swap the rear for a 4.11 or 3.78 but will a Flathead bolt up to the transmission? On the 4 cyl did they use a v-8 gear box? Or maybe I should just look for a v-8 pickup and save all that effort. The 4 is a neat engine and might be fun to drive???. Also thinking I won't go too far or fast and while interesting really not to practial. Any thoughts out there? Bill

supereal    -- 09-29-2012 @ 6:53 AM
  Even with the 4:55 rear end, the four cylinder trucks could hardly pull their own weight, let alone a load. They are now a curiosity, worth keeping together. Changing to an eight cylinder would require replacing almost all the running gear.

supereal    -- 09-29-2012 @ 6:53 AM
  Even with the 4:55 rear end, the four cylinder trucks could hardly pull their own weight, let alone a load. They are now a curiosity, worth keeping together. Changing to an eight cylinder would require replacing almost all the running gear.

trjford8    -- 09-29-2012 @ 8:58 AM
  I agree with Bob. You would have to change almost all the running gear. The 4 banger is a novelty, but it is not practical. It may have had a use on the farm, but is useless as a driver on the highway.

Stroker    -- 09-29-2012 @ 10:43 AM
  In my youth in SoCal there was a large regional laundry company that had a fleet of
4-cylinder 3/4 ton Ford panel trucks that roamed all over the area. These were sought after by the local dry-lakes and Bonneville racers for one valuable part. They all had
18-inch disc wheels with the standard 5-1/2" bolt pattern. This allowed the installation of the Firestone 18-inch Indy tires on the back of your dry lakes roadster.
I imagine the 18-inch wheels sort of offset the 4:56 final drive, which was also a hot
item with the drag-race types.

If you decide to acquire it, it would be nice to keep it original.

TomO    -- 09-29-2012 @ 5:18 PM
  I believe that the 4 cylinder truck is a 41. The 4 cylinder engine was a replacement for the 60HP that was available in 1940. It was OK for slow city driving, just like the 60HP and was meant mainly for city delivery where the top speeds would be in the 30mph range. The truck could manage to get up to 50mph, but it was a strain.

It is interesting to see how the Cloudmist Grey paint faded from the green under the hood to the blue on the cowl.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 9-29-12 @ 5:22 PM

Bill C    -- 09-29-2012 @ 7:06 PM
  Thank you for all the quick replies. I have included another photo of the truck. My plan was to leave it as is and drive and that is what attracted me to the car. Sort of a neat and unique Ford. But as we all know in this hobby there is fantasy and reality. I do have all the parts to convert but that would be waste. Does not look like a practical driver so I will pass and keep looking. Bill

trjford8    -- 09-30-2012 @ 8:41 AM
  It's definitely a 41 pickup. If the sheetmental is good(floorpans, cab corners,cowl panels, etc) and the price is reasonalble, it's definitely worth buying. Pickups have really gained in popularity lately and if nothing else it may make good trading material later on.

Bill C    -- 09-30-2012 @ 10:06 AM
  He is asking 10-12. Not a steal for this truck. My plan was to leave body alone .Blankets on seats,galviniazed sheet on bed floor, floor mat over holes in cab , Leave all surface rust and maybe fix some fender splits. Car starts but owner has never driven. Would have to check that out. But the word is that it is not a very practical driver even if I had to put very little in. Oh yes gas tank has to be dropped and cleaned of old gas. Everything seems to work lights ect.

trjford8    -- 09-30-2012 @ 7:48 PM
  It's worth $5000-6000 on a good day. He'll have that truck a long time at that price.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=5256