Topic: 53 F100 Fordomatic Production Numbers

lazy69ranch    -- 09-14-2012 @ 10:58 AM
  I have a 53 F100 with original 8RT flathead and Fordomatic trans. Looking to find out how many were made with this Fordomatic option in 1953. Please let me know of any sources for this. Thanks for your help.

Dan

trjford8    -- 09-14-2012 @ 8:28 PM
  This may not answer your question, but here is what I found on the internet. At Wikipedia I found that the automatic transmission was introduced as an option for the F-100 pickup on March 13, 1953. At; www.f100central.com I found that Ford produced 116,437 pickups for the 1953 model year. I suspect the pickups with an automactic were 10% or less of total production. It was extremely rare to see an F-100 from 1953-1956 with an automatic transmission.

Stroker    -- 09-15-2012 @ 6:15 AM
  I would agree that you have a very rare beast.

supereal    -- 09-15-2012 @ 7:51 AM
  I was working for a Ford dealer in 1953,and we didn't see many F-100's with Fordomatics. They really were not built for heavy work, and mostly had the small stepside boxes, and were used mostly as a car with a big trunk. The farmers nearly always opted for a four speed transmission. My father in law had a 3/4 ton with a three speed column shift that could hardly pull itself. It was the only one I'd seen. The automatics added considerably to the price, but we thought they were a really "neat" advance.

This message was edited by supereal on 9-15-12 @ 7:57 AM

bkewin    -- 09-21-2012 @ 4:25 PM
  i've got one too. Its red now but was a meadow green truck out of Kansas assembly. Its been around dallas for at least 30 years.

bill

trjford8    -- 09-21-2012 @ 6:15 PM
  Bill, you might run an ad or notice in the V-8 Times looking for other owners of 53 F-100 with automatics. It might be interesting to know how many are in the club. You could also run an ad on this site and the Fordbarn to see how many responses you get.

Stroker    -- 09-22-2012 @ 7:23 AM
  Bet there's a lot of them in the UK. UPDATED September 23, 2012:I apologize for the preceding comment, as it wasn't directed towards our good EV8CA members in the UK. It was directed to reference the Nigerian scams that always seem to require EV8CA Classified "Parts Wanted" posters to respond to London Post Office addresses with Cash, or Certified Money Orders. It was a smart-assed comment that I shouldn't have made.

This message was edited by Stroker on 9-23-12 @ 3:29 PM

Stroker    -- 09-23-2012 @ 3:43 PM
  In 1953, most pickup trucks were used as trucks. Today of course, the pickup has become the modern equivalent of a coupe. Truck buyers were looking for reliability and economy under heavy work conditions, and the idea of an automatic transmission was "out of character". I recall the very first pickup I saw that had an automatic. It was a 1955 GMC
V8 (Pontiac-built), with a Hydramatic that was set-up to stay in whatever gear you selected. The quadrant had each of the 4 gears marked, so you could manually shift from low to 4th if you chose to do so, or leave it in 4th, and it would shift on its' own.

It's hard to imagine the thinking behind the original purchase of a 53 F-1 with a Fordomatic, given the mindset of the time. Because of this, it's a really rare "jewel".

Must have been a "gentleman farmer" who used his pickup/coupe for personal rather than work use.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=5196