Topic: 46 door glass removal

oldgrayman    -- 09-13-2012 @ 12:36 PM
  Does anyone have any tips for removing the door glass from a '46 1/2 ton? My service manual only covers "conventional" vehicles when discussing door glass. My main problem seems to be disconnecting the glass from the regulator channel.

supereal    -- 09-13-2012 @ 6:37 PM
  If you are referring to the channel that holds the bottom of the glass, they can be tough to remove, depending on how old it is, and what kind of glass setting tape was used. If you have a heat gun, try heating the channel, then tapping along it to free the glass. If all else fails, and you are replacing the glass, you may have to break it and remove the pieces, being careful not to bend the channel. I assume you have the glass and the channel out of the truck. If not, remove the clips that hold the channel to the regulator arms, and work the assembly out. You may have to release the side channels to do that. Be sure to wear a long sleeved shirt, as the openings in the inside of the door are usually very sharp, and can easily cut you arms and hands.

oldgrayman    -- 09-14-2012 @ 7:04 AM
  Supereal -
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, the glass is still in the door. Where do I find the retaining clips? Also, how do I release the side channels if I need to do that as well?

51f1    -- 09-14-2012 @ 7:22 AM
  I wasn't concerned about saving the glass on my old truck, but I stuck a screw driver between the glass and channel at one end and pried the glass out. It did not hurt the glass.

I am not familiar with your truck, but it is probably very similar to my '51. It's easy to remove the regulator mechanism from the channel. If you look at it you will see how to do it (remove two clips and pull the regulator arms off of the pins on the channel). Be sure to support the glass so that it doesn't fall. You will have to loosen the forward window channel and lower the glass down and out of the opening.

Richard

supereal    -- 09-14-2012 @ 8:32 AM
  The channel is held to the regulator by two "hair pin" clips on the back side. After removing the clips push the regulator arms back to get the dowels put. You usually have to crank the regulator a bit to get clearance. When you get the glass out of the channel, place it in the channel after removing the old setting tape and measure the gap. Divide by two to get the needed thickness to order the tape. You can release the side channels by removing the fasteners at the bottom. Push the aside enought to get the glass free.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=5191